Cooperative Institute for Research in Environmental Sciences

All day
 
 
Before 01
01
02
03
04
05
06
07
08
09
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
 
CIRES Special Seminar: Bill Barnhart

CIRES Special Seminar: Bill Barnhart

Misbehaving Faults: Unraveling Unexpected Fault Slip Behavior with Geodetic Imaging

by Bill Barnhart - Assistant Professor of Geophysics at the University of Iowa.

Abstract: Over the past 25 years, remote sensing geodesy, particularly InSAR and optical geodesy, has transformed the Earth science community’s view of the subtle yet complex motions of the Earth’s surface. By measuring active deformation with unprecedented spatial and temporal resolution, these new data sets help to address a suite of fundamental problems in natural hazards, lithosphere deformation kinematics, the cryosphere and hydrosphere, and human-induced deformation. I will discuss recent advances and future directions in earthquake geodesy, focusing on where unexpected fault slip behavior highlights holes in our knowledge and forces us to reevaluate some of the most fundamental assumptions of faulting, such as Anderson-Byerlee fault kinematics. I will argue from geodetic, seismic, and geomorphic evidence that slip directions on the Hoshab Fault of Pakistan, host of the 2013 Mw7.7 Baluchistan earthquake, vary by up to 90° over several seismic cycles. This bimodal slip behavior allows a single fault to accommodate strain partitioning by switching between strike-slip and dip-slip motion, and it provides new incites into the manifestation of oblique crustal deformation and the process of fault reactivation. I will also discuss how I combine detailed geodetic analysis of earthquakes with the signature of past earthquakes recorded in the landscape to bridge the important observational gap that currently exists between portions of a single seismic cycle (geodesy and seismology) and multiple integrated earthquake cycles (paleoseismology and tectonic geomorphology).

Bio: I completed my bachelors of science in Geology from Washington and Lee University in Lexington, Virginia in 2008. There I completed a senior thesis characterizing the deformation fabrics in granites of the Penninic knappes of the Swiss Alps. I then completed my Ph.D. at Cornell University with Dr. Rowena Lohman in 2013. My dissertation focused on developing both new imaging and modeling techniques to constrain active fault deformation and stress interactions between earthquakes from InSAR observations and InSAR time series analysis. These techniques were applied to range of seismotectonic studies including the Christchurch, New Zealand earthquake sequence and triggered aseimic fault slip events in the Zagros Mountains or Iran. After Cornell, I was a Mendenhall post-doctoral fellow at the USGS National Earthquake Information Center in Golden, Colorado. At the NEIC, I worked to integrate geodetic observations into rapid, global earthquake response operations, work that I continue today with collaborators at the NEIC. In 2015, I began my current position as Assistant Professor of Geophysics at the University of Iowa.

location

CIRES Auditorium

Amenities

Refreshments provided

2016-02-08
 
CMC Minutes Feb. 8, 2016

CMC Minutes Feb. 8, 2016

CMC Meeting February 8, 2016

 

In attendance: Chance Sterling (GMD), Amy Steiker (NSIDC), Brandi McCarty (CSD)-Guest, Lucia Harrop (ESRL), Nate Campbell (Admin), Craig Hartsbough (GSD), Matt Price (CIRES IT)-Guest, Robin Strelow (Comm.), Rick Tisinai (CSD), Carrie Morrill (NCEI), Michele Cash (SWPC), Mimi Hughes (PSD), Christina Holt (GSD), Anne Perring (CSD), Chris Clack (GSD)

 

Delay getting to the room due to late set up by The Taj

Got seated in the back room of The Taj and then went to the buffet.

 

The group photo was taken by Matt Price.

 

The meeting was called to order at 12:43

 

Director’s award - Chris is trying to contact Waleed and Lornay for their feedback and there has been no response. Chris will continue to press for an answer. Ann suggests giving them a one-week deadline then forget about it until June. So much depends upon Waleed’s interest. There is no separate interface on the Web site for CIRES members to suggest Director’s Award nominations. Chris summarized the situation saying there are “many different avenues” to pursue.

 

Rendezvous updates - Amanda could not make it, but told Christine that things are progressing nicely. There will be no Graduate Student Award this year.

 

Rick described the need to ask the CIRES Directors to review the poster quota for the tent - how many would really represent their science? The benefit could be that there would somewhere around 80 posters that would all fit in the tent. Rick will ask the Directors this following week.

 

Brandi also said that there is a problem where scientist don’t make themselves available to talk about their posters.

 

Ann described that it be about scientists that want to show a poster and represent it, and let that determine how many posters are submitted.

 

Nate described the new way to list poster contributors and their affiliations on the web site by way of pulldown menus.

 

OPA update - nothing now until nominations appear! Chris gave an update on the site noting, that there needs to be a sentence explaining that people that provide references for the OPA nominee may be from outside NOAA and CIRES, such as NASA, colleges, etc.

 

A very tight timeline for Linda Pendergrass - April 4th might be the real deadline date. March 7-11 will be the week to do the final choices, which will provide time to accommodate Waleed’s chance to choose contenders.

 

We will need a CMC meeting or email exchange to discuss the decisions, then March 25th will be the final decisions given to Waleed. The week of the 4th of April will be the appeal start time.

 

Chris said he will need to develop the committee to make the OPA decision.

 

Chris has had people wanting to nominate him, and he feels it is a conflict of interest, so should he be ineligible? Should he step down from the committee? Also, how many times or how many years does one need to wait before being eligible to be nominated again? We need to have something written down to accommodate this sort of conflict.

 

Ann felt that it would be appropriate to post the names of the OPA committee to be sure that there is adequate transparency. These rules might be listed on the old documentation from Deanne. Brandi said that there was some big effort in a notebook, and Anna and Chris said they saw no notebook. Brandi will try to find the material and get it to Chris.

 

(Follow up - Rick had it, and it was delivered to Chris by Brandi!)

 

Nate will allow access to the OPA web site for the OPA committee members.

 

By-Laws Committee

 

Rick said the first part of the By-Laws have been combed through, but it needs to be finished and sent to the CMC for review.

 

Lucia mentioned that in addition to email correspondence already allowed in the By-Laws, that we will be adding “e-meetings” - where we could attend online.

 

Skype for Business is available through CU as per Nate. Amy said NSIDC has used “Zoom.” Ultimately, it will have to be a university owned service, allied by NOAA. Rick and Nate will discuss what methods can be used to legally enact an “e-meeting.”

 

Lucia said there will be some ASA training, especially for those scientists that don’t really interact with their science advisors!

 

CIRES Feedback page: Lucia said that the feedback page input needs to be reviewed, though right now it is somewhat underused. She advocated that the CMC look at the responses. We do have to get back to those people!

 

Membership Chairperson role: Chance described the position requirements.

 

1.      To ensure that we have a full representation.

2.      Meeting with new CMC members to familiarize their place on the CMC.

3.      Survey with outgoing members.

 

Rick said the By-Laws will have a provision to require the outgoing person to find their own replacement, but can ask the Membership Chair to help.

 

Chance then got more details on his list from the CMC members on their affiliations, etc. Lucia has an updated list of CIRES members in each Lab which was good codetermine how many reps should be allotted.

 

 

Mimi needs to find one more person for PSD.

Carrie needs to find one more person from NCEI.

 

Chance will assist them if needed.

 

Nate asked for the chance to update the CMC mailing list. Lucia did do that recently, removing some old names, so the list should be up to date.

 

PSD Reorganization

Christina brought up the question or the PSD purchasing requirements and Mimi said the decision was that the current “non-decision” will stand indefinitely! That did not go well with PSD members.

Christina suggested that the only thing that CMC can do for now is to insist that updates to the PSD status is posted.

Mimi is doing the Colorado Leadership Program with CIRES administration and looking at the Cooperative Institutes employees roles in ESRL: are they aligned with the mission? Are there advancement opportunities? How is morale versus government employees?

Mimi is looking for input from CMC and all CIRES members, but perhaps maybe CERA, etc., as well.

Mimi would like to promote a Mentoring Program in CIRES - one thing that seems to be lacking! Should CMC promote that? No vote taken at this time.

Mimi has a document that shows the questions she is asking the Lab directors and Christina will share that.

Lucia said that with the CIRES Review, CMC may be asked to participate in it. April 18-20.

Brandi requested that CIRES employees, having to accommodate building damage, have some way to get support and materials (such as chairs), and office space. CMC can remind the Lab directors that there can be facilities for CIRES members in a disaster situation.

Meeting adjourned at 1:52pm

date

Monday, February 8, 2016
12:00pm
2016-02-08