Cooperative Institute for Research in Environmental Sciences



Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
30
1
2
3
4
5
6
 
Analytical Chemistry Seminar: Alma Hodzic

Analytical Chemistry Seminar: Alma Hodzic

Jointly sponsored by the Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry, CIRES, and the Environmental Program

Rethinking Secondary Organic Aerosol formation and removal in 3D models based on explicit chemistry

Dr. Alma Hodzic, NCAR, Boulder, CO

Current secondary organic aerosol (SOA) parameterizations fail to explain the observed amounts and properties of tropospheric SOA, which results in large uncertainties in their effects on radiation and climate. We use the Generator of Explicit Chemistry and Kinetics of Organics in the Atmosphere (GECKO-A) to simulate SOA gas-phase chemistry in various environments (urban, forest, low/high NOx). Our results show that GECKO-A predicts significant SOA mass growth in urban plumes, and formation of less volatile and more soluble organic products, than predicted by parameterizations typically used in 3D models. The results also indicate that atmospheric processing of gas-phase oxidation intermediates, which are poorly represented in 3D models, can significantly modulate SOA formation and lifetime. We discuss the possible effect of dry deposition and organic photo-fragmentation reactions on condensable organic vapors and SOA. We derive new parameterizations that reproduce GECKO-A behavior in terms of volatility, yields and solubility for use in 3D models. These parameterizations are applied at regional and global scales to re-evaluate SOA concentrations, burden and removal.

location

CIRES Fellows Room, Ekeley S274 - 1665 Central Campus Mall, Boulder, CO 80309
2014-12-01
 
Reading the IPCC Report: Ch. 13 - Sea Level Change by Steve Nerem

Reading the IPCC Report: Ch. 13 - Sea Level Change by Steve Nerem

Ever wonder what the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) report says? This fall's focus is on Climate Change 2013: The Physical Science Basis (Working Group I's contribution to the IPCC 5th Assessment Report)

This is a CIRES-ATOC Seminar Series

For more information please visit: {CCM:BASE_URL}/news-events/announcements/new-seminar-series-cires-and-atoc-reading-ipcc-report/

location

CIRES Auditorium - 1665 Central Campus Mall, Boulder, CO 80309
2014-12-02
 
 
Cryospheric and Polar Processes Seminar: Twila Moon

Cryospheric and Polar Processes Seminar: Twila Moon

Seasonal ice dynamics on the Greenland Ice Sheet

Dr. Twila Moon - CIRES visiting fellow, NSIDC/CIRES

With air and ocean temperatures rising around the Greenland Ice Sheet, ice mass loss has accelerated over recent decades. Understanding how continued warming will influence the ice sheet, however, requires a complete understanding of ice dynamics over short (days to weeks) to long (decades) timescales. Twila Moon will talk about recent work to understand seasonal glacier velocities across the ice sheet. The research identified several distinct seasonal patterns. The differences in behavior suggest that some glaciers are quite sensitive to terminus advance and retreat, but seasonal velocity changes on most glaciers are likely connected to subglacial hydrology. Furthermore, seasonal development of the subglacial hydrologic network varies across regions. She will also discuss evidence for longer sea ice free periods leading to sustained glacier speedup and how current work at NSIDC will help us answer more questions on changing glacier velocities.

location

RL-2 Room 155 - 1540 30th Street, Boulder, CO 80309
2014-12-04
 
 
 
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
 
CMC Minutes Dec. 8, 2014

CMC Minutes Dec. 8, 2014

CIRES Member’s Council Meeting: December 8th, 2014

 

 

Members in Attendance:

Rick Tisinai, CIRES-NOAA ESRL CSD

Gloria Hicks, NSIDC

Lucia Harrop, CIRES-NOAA ESRL PSD

Amanda Morton, CIRES Education Outreach

Kiki Holl, CIRES CCF

Deann Miller, NSIDC

Ben Livneh, CIRES-NOAA ESRL GMD

Christina Holt, CIRES-NOAA

Joe Olson, CIRES-NOAA ESRL GSD

Anne Perring – CIRES-NOAA ESRL CSD

Chris Clark, CIRES-NOAA

Guests in Attendance:

Brandy, CIRES-NOAA ESRL CSD

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Administrative Issues:

Rick – Bylaws discussion. Two volunteers unable to attend this meeting. Look to overhaul and adjust.

Rick – January 12th Ricon Del Sol as meeting place. Or other locations with meeting rooms.

Rick – Outstanding performance award info. Only one comment.

 

Outstanding Performance Awards Discussion:

Ann and Joe wanted it vague and inclusionary. It was left intentionally vague to allow for broad interpretation of the criteria since there is a clear delineation between science and service.

Gloria’s biggest problem was how to define ‘high impact’. What makes something high impact?

A space to say why something is new, resourceful or innovative to allow for ranking against other submissions. The website prompts for more definition and details. The current goal is to herd people into the right areas.

This is a problem with promotion cycle and system, not just OPA.

The website may have been causing a lot of the problems. New redesign gets rid of a lot of the redundancies.

Deann was in charge of revamping website while Ann and Joe were lead in rewording the actual content.

Rick is really happy with the process and guidelines. Joe brought it up because someone in his office was denied a promotion from 2 to 3 and asked for details on why they didn’t get it. Since they were on science track they were denied because they didn’t have enough first author but the majority of their work is on the service track.  Rick feels that the boss of the person may not fully understand what the person is doing. Joe – what if when you submit a packet have your boss give the group a heads up that you’re not in one category. Do we need a third category or do we need more guidance that shows the people who review. Brandy – Seems like the person is set on a track that is unattainable for them at their current track and work. The person has potentially been put in the right track. She has been asked to publish but they need her to more tracks to be recognized for her publish. Lucia feels that there are many people at NOAA who fall into a third category.

Deann – How do you recognize support and Admin track?

Everyone – talking

Rick – wants to show proof that people are doing important work and worthwhile contributing work, but they are not being recognized or acknowledged for their work.

Ann – NOAA CSTP perhaps encourages people to not apply.

Chris agrees that people are encouraged to do things like ‘write paper’ on their own time because it’s not integral to what they are doing, however they need to write those papers to get a promotion in CIRES.

Rick – These cases are examples of a problem with perhaps people not wanting to promote people, not enough in the budget, and perhaps one hand not talking to the other. We want to know if scientists are refuting their promotion track findings. Appealing it.

Deann – we need a bigger picture idea for these categories.

Active component of OPAs because group has to send back nominations.

This is CMCs biggest input/impact on Rendezvous. This is our biggest concern and contributions.

Brandy – there aren’t any words that imply that things are above and beyond your job.

Ann – we often times reward people for simply doing their job

Lucia – this is a historical standpoint from Koni who wanted it to be your job plus

Deann – we really don’t know how they’re doing their job

Lucia – I don’t know that I agree with that

Brandy – this has been revised twice before, so I don’t know if it’s still in

Joe – we’re going to take the best anyways

Lucia – Koni used it as a weapon, so I’m glad it’s gone

Brandy – I believe that it is a Koni historical thing, but I think that if you do a good job then you get a promotion, and the POI is above and beyond that. If you’re getting that extra bonus.

Rick – we’re looking to influence promotions. The legacy stuff is important.

Rick – Thanks so much. It is great to start the rendezvous with that in place.

 

Discussion of Last Meeting’s Travel Issues:

Rick – I wanted to talk again about the travel issue that Terry brought up last month. Lucia

Lucia – I went to CIRES travel and wanted to understand more. This rules are in place from CU procurement services. It is not just the Boulder campus, but all CU. Upgrades such as leg room are allowed with justifications. Doctor’s notes are needed for medical justifications. Also international long flights can be upgraded without penalty. Cost is also always a justification. We can go back to CIRES Travel and put pressure if we feel strongly about.

Lucia – I think these responses are not satisfactory.

Deanne – What about other universities

Chris– most airlines you must pay extra to book a seat in advance. You must pay to pick a seat for any airlines.

Everyone talking.

Deann – what happens if you don’t pick a seat?

Chris – He couldn’t get further in purchase point without paying to pick a seat.

Rick – for at least the next two years, they are going to do weird things in place. Can we make a record that you need that doctor’s note.

Deann – I like your idea that we keep our policies changing to meet the airlines. I think that is a must.

Chris – I don’t want people worrying about what is going on with their reimbursements and you’re traveling for work.

Deann – I flew last year and booked with Christopherson and was not reimbursed.

No one likes Concur. Many people feel that Travel needs to do a better job of notifying everyone of travel policy changes.

Brandy – Our secretaries do a great job. They make it all look lovely. They make it great.

Rick – our group moves a bunch, and as groups so that makes our group unique because it behooves the secretaries to do 15 at a time.

Rick – We should probably take this to Kristen and have her push for it. As our liaison.

Email travel process to all of CIRES via CMC newsletter.

 

Discussion of CMC Newsletter and ways to get more involved:

Rick – we need to help CIRES members be better informed. A better way of communicating. One of the goals to resolve this is the newsletter he wants to get out in January. CIRES Comms will get it out for us, we just need to do the content.

Lucia – it should come from us as individuals because anything that comes from a main hub, goes straight to the spam and trash folders.

Ann – I think this would help if it was less regular.

Gloria – NSIDC has a bulletin board that gets read.

Deann – I think it shouldn’t be a monthly type thing.

CMC Coffee Club? CMC Socials?

Rick – we need CMC members to commit to spreading the news and getting out and meeting our groups so that people know who we are.

Things that are interesting and helpful for people.

Lucia – These things should go in our bylaws.

 

Rendezvous Update:

Rick – May 1st Rendezvous, April 1st is deadline for submissions

An email will go out to everyone this month.

Rick has been meeting with Linda Pendergrass. I will bring details next month. Have doodle for 2015.

We need to have all of the OPA stuff in place for when the emails go out for rendezvous.

 

CMC Meeting Logistics:

Rick – next favorite topic. Do we like being in the C4C

Ben – I think one thing that was hard is parking, I checked all the lots and find no parking. Commuting is hard.

Lucia and Deann had an easy time parking.

Lucia – the cards are hard to get and it’s hard to allow for drop ins. Visitors have to tell someone in advance.

Rick – it would be nice if culturally we can allow people to drop in. It would be nice to have a heads up. It’s hard to get in.

Deann – and the Mexican restaurant isn’t ideal because of the tables and noise level

Ann – The Nepal cuisine place has an upstairs room that no one ever uses

Lucia – I’m talking to Carelli’s to see if we can get that room. There is also the Buff.

Deann – Do we pay extra?

Lucia – No

Rick – The cards to do it the paper way $9.5 each. $12 per person on an ACARD

Looking for ease in logistics and parking. Once you factor in logistical ease, it helps make up for any price differential.

Ann – the Taj also has a meeting room.

Ben doesn’t like Rincon - I don’t like their food and seating.

Lucia – I think we could ask them to resolve things like layouts and seating.

Rick – I think everything is better with a meal location.

Deann – how do we decide then?

Rick asked Lucia to send a list of choices. The C4C is booked in January, so we need something!

Rick – if we want to try a place, we need to notify people. I think that we need to know and notify people in advance because it is important for everyone to know where we are.

We asked Lucia to pick a place. She is currently looking at Carelli’s

Rick – I don’t think this space is worth 9.50. Important to have a closed quiet space.

 

Guest Topics:

Holiday Party

CIRES Ski Group

 

Brandy – wanted to talk about holiday party schedule. Wants to have a ski party.

Why can we accommodate people with children and not people without children by no longer having the ski day.

Ann – I still think that Santa is weird at a work function.

Brandy – There used to be a fun CIRES Ski day where they bus everyone up and buy pizza but now they don’t and Brandy wants her gift. She’s feel left out since she does not have a child.

Discussion of appropriateness of Santa at work functions.

 

Return to CMC Administrative Discussions:

Executive Committee Meeting – CMC Representative/Alternate Needed

Rick – Executive meeting. We need a third alternate

Chris – I will consider doing it J

Goes to fellows meetings with Barry and Ann. Thursday afternoon this week Chris will attend his first Fellows Meeting as CMC Personnel.

Fellow’s allow up to 2 CMC members. They don’t want all 3 member’s. It needs to stay at a max of 2 in attendance because it makes up too much of the meeting percentage.

Share phone numbers and emails amongst CMC executive committee meetings on Tuesdays and Fellows Meeting on Thursday. We can ask questions on the Executive Committee Meetings but the expectation be quiet in the Fellows meetings.

If you get on the email list, you’ll know what’s going on.

 

Closing Remarks:

Any new business?

Or any feedback from other employees?

Joe is going to set up meeting with Rick and promotion denial case study.

1:35 adjourn

 

 

date

Monday, December 8, 2014
12:00pm
2014-12-08
 
Reading the IPCC Report: Ch. 14 - Climate Phenomena and their Relevance for Future Regional Climate Change by Kevin Trenberth

Reading the IPCC Report: Ch. 14 - Climate Phenomena and their Relevance for Future Regional Climate Change by Kevin Trenberth

Ever wonder what the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) report says? This fall's focus is on Climate Change 2013: The Physical Science Basis (Working Group I's contribution to the IPCC 5th Assessment Report)

This is a CIRES-ATOC Seminar Series

For more information please visit: http://www.cires.colorado.edu/news-events/announcements/new-seminar-series-cires-and-atoc-reading-ipcc-report/

location

CIRES Auditorium
2014-12-09
 
Winona LaDuke: Indigenous Women Telling a New Story About Energy and Climate

Winona LaDuke: Indigenous Women Telling a New Story About Energy and Climate

Winona LaDuke
Indigenous Women Telling a New Story About Energy and Climate

Along with Nani Chacon and Adrian Manygoats

University Theatre in the Theatre Building, CU Boulder
7:00 PM | View Flyer

Winona LaDuke (Anishinaabe) is an internationally acclaimed author, orator and activist. A graduate of Harvard and Antioch Universities with advanced degrees in rural economic development, LaDuke has devoted her life to protecting the lands and life ways of Native communities.

Nanibah 'Nani' Chacon is a Painter, Muralist, Educator and Art Activist and Organizer. She was raised in Chinle, Arizona and Albuquerque New Mexico. Her cultural heritage and experience often informs her work as an artist and activist. Nani has a prolific career as an artist which spans close to 20 years, covering Graffiti artist, illustration, fine art painting, Murals and public works. In 2002 she received her BA in education, she has taught grades K-College Prep both formally and informally as an artist and mentor. As an artist Nani has won numerous recognitions and exhibits her work nation wide. Her recent endeavors include work as an art activist with the nationally recognized group Honor the Treaties, curatorial projects and community organizing.

Adrian Manygoats is a Navajo activist who serves as project director for Eagle Energy. She is passionate about women and energy and environmental justice for all people.

Brought to you by
Inside the Greenhouse, an initiative on the CU campus for creative climate communication

Center for Science & Technology Policy Research
CU Department of Theatre & Dance
International Collective on Environment, Culture & Politics

location

University Theatre in the Theatre Building
2014-12-09
 
 
 
 
 
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
28
29
30
31
1
2
3