Cooperative Institute for Research in Environmental Sciences



Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
27
28
29
30
31
1
2
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
 
 
 
Cryospheric and Polar Processes Seminar: Rob Massom

Cryospheric and Polar Processes Seminar: Rob Massom

Satellite-based fast ice studies in Antarctica

by Dr. Rob Massom - Australian Antarctic Division and ACE CRC, Tasmania, Australia

Landfast ice (fast ice) is stationary sea ice that is attached to the coast and/or grounded icebergs and glacier tongues. Although relatively narrow (compared to the overall sea ice zone), it is an important feature of the Antarctic coastal zone, where is it forms a key yet variable element between the ice sheet and the free-drifting pack ice/open ocean and exerts a major influence on atmosphere-ocean interactions as well as biological processes. Moreover, Antarctic fast ice represents a sensitive indicator of climate change and/or variability. This talk focuses on recent satellite-based studies of fast ice (largely from East Antarctica). Among the topics covered are the mapping of fast ice using MODIS and SAR imagery; the regional relationship between fast ice extent and Emperor penguin breeding success; and the possible relationship between fast ice and ice-sheet margin stability. The talk ends with a look into the crystal ball regarding possible future fast ice conditions.

location

RL-2 (on East Campus) room 155
2016-01-13
 
 
CMC Minutes Jan. 15, 2016

CMC Minutes Jan. 15, 2016

CMC meeting minutes

Jan. 11th, 2016

 

In attendance:  Anne Perring (CSD) – presiding, Carrie Morrill, Mimi Hughes (PSD), Michele Cash (SWPC), Amy Steiker (NSIDC), Chuck Eubank (guest from CSD), Craig Hartsough (GSD), Rick Tisinai (CSD), Nathan Campbell (CIRES IT), Matthew Price (guest from CIRES IT), Kathleen Lantz (GMD), David Kingsmill (guest from PSD), Amanda Morton (CIRES) – via Skype

 

Pizza delivered!

 

Announcements

 

Attendance for Feb. meeting – picture session for new group and Rendezvous program

 

Director’s Award

 

Rendezvous – Director’s award or not? Waleed needs to decide for the web site.

 

Nate – Rendezvous web ready by February 1st.

 

OPA recommendations due in February

 

Rick – can CMC bring structure to the Director’s award process? Who gets one?

 

Kathy – define eligibility!

 

Rick - CMC can deliver the updated criteria and web site for Waleed to judge

 

Anne – still needs to be accepted by Waleed

 

Kathy – could it be derived from the OPA as one award that is just outside the OPA criteria?

 

Nate – not enough time to fulfill the new criteria, so perhaps going with the OPA “extra” criteria

 

Mimi – will this provide enough time for Waleed to decide – Anne and Nate said yes.

 

Anne – would the award be even better that the OPAs?

 

Anne and Nate discussed details of the Rendezvous web site

 

 

 

 

Director’s Town Hall Visit

 

Anne encouraged everyone to attend the Town Hall visits!

 

Rick – did Waleed make to East Campus? Amy verified that he was there in November.

 

CIRES PIs issue

 

A couple of bits of movement – Mimi said there is a stay on some of the agreements for PSD

 

Kathy – question to Mimi: will PSD reverse the decision to not allow CIRES members to be PIs?

Mimi – so far the director has discretion, so there is no change.

 

David Kingsmill – from the ESRL level, money flow doesn’t go from CIRES to NOAA for CIRES PIs so it is subject to audit. He mentioned that the former ETL was caught doing some things incorrectly several years ago.

 

Mimi – there was a meeting with Waleed last week and they will try to iron out an agreement.

 

Anne – it started with CSD having this struggle.

 

Kathy – she has been writing her own proposals for a long time, and the GMD director has approved them.

 

Anne - the CIRES people may be “harmonized” to a lower level!

 

David Kingsmill – this is not a new topic and finally being addressed

 

 

Membership Chairperson plans - Chance not here, so it will be pushed to the next meeting

 

Carrie – supervisor training materials for new supervisors? Nate will contact Paula Robinson to have the training placed online. CIRES IT will have that sort of stuff on the new InsideCIRES site.

 

Also, access to previous years’ ASAs: there a place for that? Nate - the ASAs were not always digital. Discussion to ask for the old assessment to be included.

 

Nate – there are 22 CIRES IT projects , so this may not be something that can be addressed soon. It might be accommodated later. Nate will bring back any news of this request to the Feb meeting.

 

 

 

 

Rendezvous Skype session with Amanda

 

Rendezvous update – Robin described “draw your science” just like AGU. Spur of the moment idea to encourage collaboration.

 

Amy – will there be enough time to do this? Will this take too much time away from the regular poster session? It will need to be advertised! Excess paper…other logistics…

 

There is a consideration to have a live stream of each room, esp. room 235

 

“Poster Bingo” – to get people moving from room to room! Since the groups are color-coded, they can have a Bingo card to fill in the groups visited by color.

 

There was a suggestion to abolish the division separation, and Nate said the CGA separation was not well received

 

Anne – what would be the prize? Amanda - depends upon approval, so they are looking into some sort of physical award. Kathy – Starbucks cards!

 

Nate - Division directors are supposed to approve the posters which is not consistent. It has gone from blanket approval to no approval. Can the Rendezvous committee go with “no comment equals approval.”

The CMC unanimously voted to go with a deadline for CIRES Division Directors to refuse any poster, otherwise it will be approved by default.

Again, next meeting, we’ll have a new CMC photo for the Rendezvous program!

Addition comments or questions

Rick – can CMC get a copy of the Rendezvous process list?

 

date

Friday, January 15, 2016
12:00pm
2016-01-15
 
 
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
 
 
 
CWEST Seminar: John Melack

CWEST Seminar: John Melack

The Center for Water, Earth Science and Technology (CWEST) presents 

Ecosystem processes in Amazon floodplains: Linking hydrology and ecology

by John M. Melack - University of California, Santa Barbara

Over the last decade the roles of inland waters in continental-scale carbon fluxes has become recognized as significant based on new measurements and synthetic analyses complemented by applications of remote sensing. Within the tropics, high rates of productivity and extensive inland waters indicate that this region is of particular interest. Floodplains and associated lakes and wetlands are the dominant aquatic habitat in the Amazon and are important on other tropical continents. Deciphering the complex interactions among the hydrology, ecology and biogeochemistry of these systems has benefitted from intensive studies, extensive surveys, remote sensing and hydrological and hydraulic modeling. Results are these studies and projections of changes resulting from variations in climate and land uses will be presented.

location

CIRES Auditorium

Amenities

Refreshments provided

2016-01-27
 
 
 
 
31
1
2
3
4
5
6