Eleanor C. Browne
My group is primarily interested in understanding the chemical evolution of gases and aerosols in the atmosphere and in developing parameterizations of these processes suitable for use in regional and global chemical transport models. Current work focuses on understanding the atmospheric processing of reduced nitrogen compounds and how this chemistry impacts air quality and climate.
My group uses a combination of lab experiments, field measurements, and chemical transport modeling to study the fate of reduced nitrogen compounds. Reduced nitrogen compounds such as ammonia, amines, and amides are emitted from various anthropogenic and biogenic sources and may also be formed via secondary processes. Although measurements of these compounds have proven to be technically difficult, these types of compounds have been detected in the gas-phase, particle-phase, and cloud and fog droplets. With recent improvements in the sensitivity and time-resolution of measurement techniques, there has been an increased interest in these compounds and in the role that they play in climate and air quality relevant processes such as new particle formation and growth.
Example schematic for laboratory experiments. Aerosols and the reduced nitrogen compound of interest are combined along with a humidified flow of clean air with varying amounts of ozone. This flow enters the flow tube in which OH radicals are produced via the photolysis of ozone in the presence of water vapor. Gas-phase concentrations are measured using the chemical ionization mass spectrometer.
My group is interested in continuing to characterize and improve the measurement techniques for detection of reduced nitrogen species and in using these techniques for field and lab measurements. Our lab-based research uses flow tubes and chambers to investigate the chemistry of amine and amide oxidation. Current projects in the lab are focused on understanding how the chemical composition and morphology of particles affect amine uptake and on characterizing the gas- and particle-phase oxidation reactions of amines and amides.
The group also uses chemical transport modeling to investigate the regional impacts of the processes measured in the lab and field. Current work is focused on improving the representation of reduced nitrogen chemistry in these models and investigating how implementation of this chemistry influences ozone production, particularly in biomass burning plumes and near agricultural areas.
- NOAA Climate and Global Change Postdoctoral Fellowship (2012-2014)
- NASA Earth Systems Science Fellowship (2010-2012)
- Pusede, SE, TC VandenBoer, JG Murphy, MZ Markovic, CJ Young, PR Veres, JM Roberts, RA Washenfelder, SS Brown, XR Ren, C Tsai, J Stutz, WH Brune, EC Browne, PJ Wooldridge, AR Graham, R Weber, AH Goldstein, S Dusanter, SM Griffith, PS Stevens, BL Lefer and RC Cohen (2015), An Atmospheric Constraint on the NO2 Dependence of Daytime Near-Surface Nitrous Acid (HONO). Environ. Sci. Technol. Version: 1 49 (21) 12774-12781, issn: 0013-936X, ids: CV6BI, doi: 10.1021/acs.est.5b02511, PubMed ID: 26436410
- Canagaratna, MR, P Massoli, EC Browne, JP Franklin, KR Wilson, TB Onasch, TW Kirchstetter, EC Fortner, CE Kolb, JT Jayne, JH Kroll and DR Worsnop (2015), Chemical Compositions of Black Carbon Particle Cores and Coatings via Soot Particle Aerosol Mass Spectrometry with Photoionization and Electron Ionization. J. Phys. Chem. A Version: 1 119 (19) 4589-4599, issn: 1089-5639, ids: CI6YV, doi: 10.1021/jp510711u, PubMed ID: 25526741
- Browne, EC, JP Franklin, MR Canagaratna, P Massoli, TW Kirchstetter, DR Worsnop, KR Wilson and JH Kroll (2015), Changes to the Chemical Composition of Soot from Heterogeneous Oxidation Reactions. J. Phys. Chem. A Version: 1 119 (7) 1154-1163, issn: 1089-5639, ids: CB9HI, doi: 10.1021/jp511507d, PubMed ID: 25654760
- Browne, EC, PJ Wooldridge, KE Min and RC Cohen (2014), On the role of monoterpene chemistry in the remote continental boundary layer. Atmos. Chem. Phys. Version: 1 14 (3) 1225-1238, issn: 1680-7316, ids: AC2ZN, doi: 10.5194/acp-14-1225-2014
- Pusede, SE, DR Gentner, PJ Wooldridge, EC Browne, AW Rollins, KE Min, AR Russell, J Thomas, L Zhang, WH Brune, SB Henry, JP DiGangi, FN Keutsch, SA Harrold, JA Thornton, MR Beaver, JM St Clair, PO Wennberg, J Sanders, X Ren, TC VandenBoer, MZ Markovic, A Guha, R Weber, AH Goldstein and RC Cohen (2014), On the temperature dependence of organic reactivity, nitrogen oxides, ozone production, and the impact of emission controls in San Joaquin Valley, California. Atmos. Chem. Phys. Version: 1 14 (7) 3373-3395, issn: 1680-7316, ids: AF3JO, doi: 10.5194/acp-14-3373-2014
- Min, KE, SE Pusede, EC Browne, BW LaFranchi, PJ Wooldridge and RC Cohen (2014), Eddy covariance fluxes and vertical concentration gradient measurements of NO and NO2 over a ponderosa pine ecosystem: observational evidence for within-canopy chemical removal of NOx. Atmos. Chem. Phys. Version: 1 14 (11) 5495-5512, issn: 1680-7316, ids: AJ6KO, doi: 10.5194/acp-14-5495-2014
- VandenBoer, TC, MZ Markovic, JE Sanders, X Ren, SE Pusede, EC Browne, RC Cohen, L Zhang, J Thomas, WH Brune and JG Murphy (2014), Evidence for a nitrous acid (HONO) reservoir at the ground surface in Bakersfield, CA, during CalNex 2010. J. Geophys. Res.-Atmos. Version: 1 119 (14) 9093-9106, issn: 2169-897X, ids: AN2GQ, doi: 10.1002/2013JD020971
- Browne, EC, KE Min, PJ Wooldridge, E Apel, DR Blake, WH Brune, CA Cantrell, MJ Cubison, GS Diskin, JL Jimenez, AJ Weinheimer, PO Wennberg, A Wisthaler and RC Cohen (2013), Observations of total RONO2 over the boreal forest: NOx sinks and HNO3 sources. Atmos. Chem. Phys. Version: 1 13 (9) 4543-4562, issn: 1680-7316, ids: 144LR, doi: 10.5194/acp-13-4543-2013
- Worton, DR, JD Surratt, BW LaFranchi, AWH Chan, YL Zhao, RJ Weber, JH Park, JB Gilman, J de Gouw, C Park, G Schade, M Beaver, JM St Clair, J Crounse, P Wennberg, GM Wolfe, S Harrold, JA Thornton, DK Farmer, KS Docherty, MJ Cubison, JL Jimenez, AA Frossard, LM Russell, K Kristensen, M Glasius, JQ Mao, XR Ren, W Brune, EC Browne, SE Pusede, RC Cohen, JH Seinfeld and AH Goldsteint (2013), Observational Insights into Aerosol Formation from Isoprene. Environ. Sci. Technol. Version: 1 47 (20) 11403-11413, issn: 0013-936X, ids: 240UQ, doi: 10.1021/es4011064, PubMed ID: 24004194
- Wolfe, GM, JA Thornton, NC Bouvier-Brown, AH Goldstein, JH Park, M Mckay, DM Matross, J Mao, WH Brune, BW LaFranchi, EC Browne, KE Min, PJ Wooldridge, RC Cohen, JD Crounse, IC Faloona, JB Gilman, WC Kuster, JA de Gouw, A Huisman and FN Keutsch (2011), The Chemistry of Atmosphere-Forest Exchange (CAFE) Model - Part 2: Application to BEARPEX-2007 observations. Atmos. Chem. Phys. Version: 1 11 (3) 1269-1294, issn: 1680-7316, ids: 721KW, doi: 10.5194/acp-11-1269-2011
- Browne, EC, AE Perring, PJ Wooldridge, E Apel, SR Hall, LG Huey, J Mao, KM Spencer, JM St Clair, AJ Weinheimer, A Wisthaler and RC Cohen (2011), Global and regional effects of the photochemistry of CH3O2NO2: evidence from ARCTAS. Atmos. Chem. Phys. Version: 1 11 (9) 4209-4219, issn: 1680-7316, ids: 764GT, doi: 10.5194/acp-11-4209-2011
- Russell, AR, AE Perring, LC Valin, EJ Bucsela, EC Browne, KE Min, PJ Wooldridge and RC Cohen (2011), A high spatial resolution retrieval of NO2 column densities from OMI: method and evaluation. Atmos. Chem. Phys. Version: 1 11 (16) 8543-8554, issn: 1680-7316, ids: 813YL, doi: 10.5194/acp-11-8543-2011
- LaFranchi, BW, GM Wolfe, JA Thornton, SA Harrold, EC Browne, KE Min, PJ Wooldridge, JB Gilman, WC Kuster, PD Goldan, JA de Gouw, M Mckay, AH Goldstein, X Ren, J Mao and RC Cohen (2009), Closing the peroxy acetyl nitrate budget: observations of acyl peroxy nitrates (PAN, PPN, and MPAN) during BEARPEX 2007. Atmos. Chem. Phys. Version: 1 9 (19) 7623-7641, issn: 1680-7316, ids: 506MT