Mysterious Soil Microbes Workshop
May 9, 2016, 8:30 - 4:30
May 10, 2016, 8:30 - 4:30
BSI Classroom on the CU Boulder Campus
Get down and dirty and explore the secret world of soil microbes. This 2-day interactive workshop is perfect for formal and informal educators who love good dirt–school and community garden coordinators, science and museum center staff, traditional and non-traditional teachers–anyone who is serious about soil.
Meet the scientists from the Fierer Lab Group who are doing cutting-edge microbial research and learn about their research work as they seek to answer questions about the hidden life on our planet:
- What are these mysterious microorganisms that make up the greatest amount of biodiversity on our planet?
- How do we explore the microbial diversity found on us, in us, and all around us?
- How do microbes impact our lives and the world we live in?
Workshop topics include:
- Introduction to microbial diversity
- Soil analyses investigations
- Explore the diversity of soil organisms
- Assess the microbial activity of soil
- Compost tea home-brewing & use
- Tours of microbial research lab & organic grounds management facility
Note: Educators can earn 1.0 hour of CU Boulder Continuing Education Credit upon completion of the workshop plus an additional 0.5 credit by participating in our Mysterious Microbes webinar series that runs from Jan – Mar, 2016.