Renee Curry Minaya
Renee Curry Minaya is the program manager at CIRES EO for the Research Experience for Community College Students (RECCS) program. She holds both a Bachelor’s and a Master’s degree in Meteorology from the University of Oklahoma (OU). She also has a Master’s degree in Ecology from Colorado State University (CSU). As an undergraduate at OU, Renee participated in a Research Experience for Undergraduates (REU) program which jumpstarted her career, led to her graduate studies, and gave her insights that she is excited to share now in RECCS.
Renee’s research in graduate school and beyond has included both field studies and modeling work, investigating events such as tornadoes, Hurricane Isabel (in North Carolina), tropical climate (in Costa Rica), and drought (in the Great Plains). Over the past decade, Renee has also worked on several major regional and national science education projects led by the National Wildlife Foundation (NWF), the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA), the Natural Resource Ecology Laboratory (NREL), and the University Corporation for Atmospheric Research (UCAR). Her professional interests include science communication, mentoring students interested in STEM careers, and informal & formal science education.
- Colorado State University, Fort Collins, CO: Ecology; M.S. 2016
- University of Oklahoma, Norman, OK: Meteorology; M.S. 2010
- University of Oklahoma, Norman, OK: Meteorology (Minors - Mathematics and Hydrologic Science), Cum Laude; B.S. 2007
- Educational Designer, 2017-2018, University Corporation of Atmospheric Research (UCAR), Center for Science Education, Boulder, CO
- Graduate Research Assistant, 2014-2016, Center for Multiscale Modeling of Atmospheric Processes (CMAPP), Colorado State University, Fort Collins, CO
- Sustainability Leadership Fellow, 2015-2016, School of Global Environmental Sustainability, Colorado State University, Fort Collins, CO
- Project Lead, 2014, NASA DEVELOP/Department of Interior's North Central Climate Science Center, Fort Collins, CO
- Graduate Research Assistant, 2011-2014, Natural Resource Ecology Laboratory, Colorado State University, Fort Collins, CO
- Climate Science Assistant, 2010-2011, National Wildlife Federation, Reston, VA
- Graduate Research Assistant, 2008-2010, School of Atmospheric and Geographic Sciences, University of Oklahoma, Norman, OK
- Undergraduate Research Assistant & NSF Research Experience for Undergraduates, University of Oklahoma, Norman, OK
- Program Manager Research Experience for Community College Students (RECCS) Program - Independently lead a summer research experience for Colorado community college students. Duties include student and mentor recruitment & selection, logistical program support, science communication training, and supporting students throughout the program and beyond.
- UCAR Center for Science Education - Involved in teacher professional development workshops and developing STEM educational materials including web-based educational content and standards-aligned curriculum for use in K-12 classrooms and informal education settings.
- NASA's Northern Colorado Global Climate Change Education Initiative - Involved in teacher professional development workshops and designing middle and high school curriculum with science teachers focused on weather/climate, natural sciences, remote sensing.
- NASA/National Wildlife Federation Ecoschools USA Climate Change Connections - Developed curriculum with NWF Ecoschools Education team for high school science teachers using myNASA data and Science on a Sphere data