Dr. Hazel M Bain
- Develop, validate and transition to operations, space weather models and applications for radiation storm forecasting for human space exploration and civil aviation.
- Understanding solar energetic particle events.
- Machine learning approach to radiation storm forecasting.
- Geoeffectiveness of geomagnetic storms.
Development of space weather models and applications to be used by forecasters at NOAA's Space Weather Prediction Center.
Responsible for leading the center’s efforts in radiation storm forecasting in support of SWPC customers the aviation and human space exploration industries.
- Developing, validating, and transitioning proton forecast models and applications in support of SWPC products and services for future human space flight endeavors.
- Validating and maintaining the real-time operational U.S. Federal Aviation Administration CARI-7 radiation dose rate model used to support space weather radiation advisories for the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO).
- The development of data products which use real-time solar wind data from the Deep Space Climate Observatory (DSCOVR) spacecraft at L1.
Honors and Awards
- 2020 - NOAA Gold Medal awarded to the Space Weather Prediction Center For the planning, development, and implementation of a new space weather forecast service to support the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO)
- 2020 - CIRES Outstanding Performance Award: For building a critical system that serves the international commercial airline industry with enhanced space weather predictions and communications
- 2020 - CIRES Outstanding Performance Award: For creating a mentorship program at CIRES to boost workplace satisfaction and foster a more creative and productive research atmosphere
- 2013 - NASA Group Achievement Award to the RHESSI Science Team
- 2009 - Royal Society of Edinburgh/Cormack Bequest Postgraduate Research Prize
- Bain HM; Steenburgh RA; Onsager TG; Stitely EM. (May 2021). A Summary of National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration Space Weather Prediction Center Proton Event Forecast Performance and Skill. Space Weather. 10.1029/2020sw002670
- Hughes, J., Vicki W. Hsu, Daniel B. Seaton, Hazel M. Bain, Jonathan M. Darnel, Larisza Krista. (2019). Real-time solar image classification: Assessing spectral, pixel-based approaches. Journal of Space Weather and Space Climate. https://doi.org/10.1051/swsc/2019036
- Luhmann, JG, ML Mays, Y Li, CO Lee, H Bain, D Odstrcil, RA Mewaldt, CMS Cohen, D Larson and G Petrie. (MAY 2018). Shock Connectivity and the Late Cycle 24 Solar Energetic Particle Events in July and September 2017. SPACE WEATHER-THE INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF RESEARCH AND APPLICATIONS, 16(5), 557-568. 10.1029/2018SW001860
- Lario, D, RY Kwon, IG Richardson, NE Raouafi, BJ Thompson, TT von Rosenvinge, ML Mays, PA Makela, H Xie, HM Bain, M Zhang, L Zhao, HV Cane, A Papaioannou, N Thakur and P Riley. (20-Mar 2017). The Solar Energetic Particle Event of 2010 August 14: Connectivity with the Solar Source Inferred from Multiple Spacecraft Observations and Modeling. ASTROPHYSICAL JOURNAL, 838(1). 10.3847/1538-4357/aa63e4
- Luhmann, JG, ML Mays, D Odstrcil, Y Li, H Bain, CO Lee, AB Galvin, RA Mewaldt, CMS Cohen, RA Leske, D Larson and Y Futaana. (JUL 2017). Modeling solar energetic particle events using ENLIL heliosphere simulations. SPACE WEATHER-THE INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF RESEARCH AND APPLICATIONS, 15(7), 934-954. 10.1002/2017SW001617
- Bain, HM, ML Mays, JG Luhmann, Y Li, LK Jian and D Odstrcil. (1-Jul 2016). SHOCK CONNECTIVITY IN THE 2010 AUGUST AND 2012 JULY SOLAR ENERGETIC PARTICLE EVENTS INFERRED FROM OBSERVATIONS AND ENLIL MODELING. ASTROPHYSICAL JOURNAL, 825(1). 10.3847/0004-637X/825/1/1
- Martinez-Oliveros, JC, C Raftery, H Bain, Y Liu, M Pulupa, P Saint-Hilaire, P Higgins, V Krupar, S Krucker and SD Bale. (MAR 2015). STEREO-Wind Radio Positioning of an Unusually Slow Drifting Event. SOLAR PHYSICS, 290(3), 891-901. 10.1007/s11207-014-0638-z
- Bain, HM, S Krucker, P Saint-Hilaire and CL Raftery. (10-Feb 2014). RADIO IMAGING OF A TYPE IVM RADIO BURST ON THE 14TH OF AUGUST 2010. ASTROPHYSICAL JOURNAL, 782(1). 10.1088/0004-637X/782/1/43
- Kim, S, K Shibasaki, HM Bain and KS Cho. (20-Apr 2014). PLASMA UPFLOWS AND MICROWAVE EMISSION IN HOT SUPRA-ARCADE STRUCTURE ASSOCIATED WITH AN M1.6 LIMB FLARE. ASTROPHYSICAL JOURNAL, 785(2). 10.1088/0004-637X/785/2/106
- Byrne, JP, H Morgan, DB Seaton, HM Bain and SR Habbal. (DEC 2014). Bridging EUV and White-Light Observations to Inspect the Initiation Phase of a "Two-Stage" Solar Eruptive Event. SOLAR PHYSICS, 289(12), 4545-4562. 10.1007/s11207-014-0585-8
- Oliveros, JCM, CL Raftery, HM Bain, Y Liu, V Krupar, S Bale and S Krucker. (20-Mar 2012). THE 2010 AUGUST 1 TYPE II BURST: A CME-CME INTERACTION AND ITS RADIO AND WHITE-LIGHT MANIFESTATIONS. ASTROPHYSICAL JOURNAL, 748(1). 10.1088/0004-637X/748/1/66
- Bain, HM, S Krucker, L Glesener and RP Lin. (MAY 2012). RADIO IMAGING OF SHOCK-ACCELERATED ELECTRONS ASSOCIATED WITH AN ERUPTING PLASMOID ON 2010 NOVEMBER 3. ASTROPHYSICAL JOURNAL, 750(1). 10.1088/0004-637X/750/1/44
- Romano, P, F Zuccarello, L Fletcher, FR da Costa, HM Bain and L Contarino. (MAY 2009). Evolution of an eruptive flare loop system. ASTRONOMY & ASTROPHYSICS, 498(3), 901-907. 10.1051/0004-6361/200811309
- Bain, HM and L Fletcher. (DEC 2009). Hard X-ray emission from a flare-related jet. ASTRONOMY & ASTROPHYSICS, 508(3), 1443-1452. 10.1051/0004-6361/200911876
- Khan, JI, HM Bain and L Fletcher. (NOV 2007). The relative timing of supra-arcade downflows in solar flares. ASTRONOMY & ASTROPHYSICS, 475(1), 333-340. 10.1051/0004-6361:20077894