Colorado Local Science Engagement Network Launch event
Colorado – Local Science Engagement Network (CO-LSEN) Launch event
Western Colorado University - Gunnison, Colorado
3:00-3:15 PM: Introductions & project overview
- Welcome by Jennie DeMarco (Western Colorado University host), Max Boykoff (CO LSEN project lead), Matt Druckenmiller (CO LSEN project co-lead), and Dan Barry (AAAS LSEN)
- Description of the scope of project & science-policy mapping by Max Boykoff (CO LSEN project lead)
- Description of initial focus areas & ‘Science Notes for Colorado’ led by Matt Druckenmiller (CO LSEN project co-lead)
3:15-3:30 PM: Three breakout discussions based on the three priority areas (Carbon-based and Renewable Energy; Climate and Environment; and Technology) coordinated by Jennie Demarco, Max Boykoff and Matt Druckenmiller.
Breakout groups to address:
- How may these priority areas be refined or further focused to address critical issues in Colorado?
- What key institutions and initiatives are already addressing science-policy engagement within these priority areas?
- Where are there opportunities for scientists, policymakers, communities, and stakeholders to engage?
3:30-3:45 PM: Report back from breakout group discussions
3:45 PM: BREAK
4:00 PM: Remote talk by Senator Kerry Donovan about the importance of science-policy connectivity in Colorado & support for CO LSEN
4:20-4:30 PM: Presentation by Matt McCombs, District Ranger, Grand Mesa, Uncompahgre and Gunnison National Forest (GMUG)
4:30-4:40 PM: Presentation by Dr. Kevin Alexander, Professor of Biology, Department of Natural and Environmental Sciences Department
4:40-5:00 PM: Full group discussion, feedback, questions, ideas & next steps led by Max Boykoff, Matt Druckenmiller and Western Colorado University partners