This lesson explores a computer simulation to understand the Greenhouse Effect and then develop a model for how this works.
Context for Use
This is the fourth lesson in the Climate Resiliency Education HS Climate Unit.
Students will learn that albedo doesn’t explain the worldwide trend of increasing temperature.
- (5 minutes) Do Now: Reorient students to the storyline.
- (15 minutes) Sharing Initial Ideas Discussion: Generate ideas for today's lesson.
- (14 minutes) Data analysis: Albedo in Colorado
- (5 minutes) Discuss: Return to the Driving Questions Board to determine the missing variable.
- (5 minutes) Brainstorm: Generate ideas for next steps in the investigation.
- (5 minutes) Data analysis: Introduce Greenhouse gasses.
- (25 minutes) Using Models: Explore the PhET Greenhouse Effect simulation and the Concord Conservatory Radiant Energy simulation..
- (15 minutes) Using Models: Create a model on poster paper.
- (15 minutes) Building Understanding Discussion: Debrief on using models.
- (5 minutes) Consensus Building Discussion: Discuss what we've learned.