This lesson explores how albedo is a contributing factor to why the temperature in some places like cities are increasing at a faster rate; albedo is not the only factor.
Context for Use
This is the third lesson in the Climate Resiliency Education HS Climate Unit.
- (5 minutes) Do Now: Reorient the students to the storyline.
- (10 minutes) Data and observations: Explore satellite data (i.e., Google Earth).
- (5 minutes) Sharing Initial Ideas Discussion: Generate ideas for this lesson.
- (15 minutes) Design: Design a procedure for the investigation.
- (10 minutes) Discuss: Share and discuss.
- (30 minutes) Conduct: Complete the investigation about surface heating using one of the two provided investigation prompts
- (10 minutes) Text: Read the Albedo Reading Guide.
- Homework: Complete last activity on student activity sheet.
- Start of next lesson: Building Understanding Discussion: Debrief on the homework activity.