Anne U. Gold
Anne is the Director of CIRES Education & Outreach at the University of Colorado in Boulder, where she focuses on science education for educators, students and the general public around climate and general geoscience education. She is interested in understanding and studying effective ways of teaching and learning and is dedicated to grounding her education work in solid research and evaluation. She is a climate scientist by training with a doctoral degree in Paleoclimatology from the University of Regensburg in Germany.
Professional activities are summarized in CV document (see side bar).
Selected Publications (full list of publications through Google Scholar Citations):
Gold, A.U., Pendergast, P., Ormand, C., Budd, D., Stempien, J., Mueller, K., Kravitz, K. (2018): Spatial Skills in Undergraduate Students – Influence of Gender, Motivation, Academic Training, and Childhood Play. Geosphere, v. 14, no. 2, doi:10.1130/GES01494.1
Harris, S., Gold, A.U. (2017): Learning molecular behaviour may improve student explanatory models of the greenhouse effect - Environmental Education Research, doi: 10.1080/13504622.2017.1280448.
Gold, A.U., Kirk, K.B., Morrison, D., Lynds, S., Sullivan, S.B., Grachev, A., Persson, O. (2015): Arctic Climate Connections Curriculum - A Model for Bringing Authentic Data Into the Classroom. Journal of Geoscience Education, Vol. 63, pp. 185-197.
Gold, A.U., Oonk, D., Smith, L., Boykoff, M., Osnes, B., Sullivan, S.B. (2015): Lens on Climate Change: Making Climate Meaningful through Student-Produced Videos. Journal of Geography, Vol. 114, p. 235-246.
Gold, A.U., Ledley, T.S., Buhr, S.M., Fox, S., McCaffrey, M., Niepold, F., Manduca, C. & Lynds, S. (2012): Peer-Review of Digital Educational Resources—A Rigorous Review Process Developed by the Climate Literacy and Energy Awareness Network (CLEAN). – Journal of Geoscience Education, Vol. 60, pp. 295-308.
Reuther, A.U., Fiebig, M.C., Ivy-Ochs, S., Kubik, P.W., Reitner, J.M., Jery, H. & Heine, K. (2011): Deglaciation of a large Piedmont Lobe Glacier in Comparison with a small mountain glacier – new insight from surface exposure dating. Two studies from SE Germany. – E&G Quaternary Science Journal, Vol. 60 No. 2, pp. 248-269.
Reuther, A.U., Urdea, P., Geiger, C., Ivy-ochs, S., Niller, H.-P., Kubik, P. & Heine, K. (2007): The glacial chronology of the Pietrele Valley, Retezat Mountains, Southern Carpathians constrained by 10Be exposure ages and pedological investigations. - Quaternary International, Vol. 164-165, pp. 151-169.
Reuther, A.U., Herget, J., Ivy-Ochs, S., Borodavco, P., Kubik, P.W. & Heine, K. (2006): Constraining the timing of the most recent cataclysmic flood event from ice-dammed lakes in the Russian Altai mountains, Siberia using cosmogenic in-situ 10Be. – Geology, Vol. 34, pp. 913 – 916.
- 2017 University of Colorado – Chancellor’s Award for Excellence in STEM Education – Spatial reasoning research program II with Department of Geological Sciences, CU Boulder
- 2015-2016 Research Stays for University Academics and Scientists (German Academic Exchange Council) Award– Visiting scientists appointment 3-months at Ludwig Maximilian University, Munich during a 12-month visiting scientist appointment.
- 2014 University of Colorado – Chancellor’s Award for Excellence in STEM Education – Spatial reasoning research program with Department of Geological Sciences, CU Boulder
- 2006 Paul-Wolstedt Award of the German Quaternary Association – dissertation was recognized as a significant and outstanding contribution to Quaternary research.
- 2005–2007 Postdoctoral Fellowship awarded by the German Academic Exchange Council (DAAD).
- 2003–2004 Scholarship for Young Researchers by Association of Geomorphologists; Scholarship for Female Scientists at University of Regensburg; Scholarship to Support International Scientific Relations at University of Regensburg; DAAD Field Trip Scholarship (Altai Mountains)
- 2002 PhD Fellowship awarded by the German Academic Exchange Council (DAAD).
- 2001 Johanna-Löwenherz Award for organization and leading of an Arctic expedition
- 2000–2001 Fulbright Scholarship – Academic study-abroad year Boulder, Colorado, USA
- 1993 Travel-Study scholarship, Oil Spill Research in Brittany, France, Stiftung für Studienreisen e.V. under patronage of UNESCO.