Kathryn (Katie) Boyd is an Education and Outreach Project Lead at CIRES, focusing on the CLEAN collection of educational resources. She earned her BS from the University of Washington and her MS from Colorado State University (CSU), both in Atmospheric Science. During these programs, she became interested in science education and outreach and worked with many groups helping the general public learn about weather & climate. She then returned to school and completed an interdisciplinary program with a focus on science education research, receiving a second MS in Ecology and Education from CSU. Her professional interests include science education, outreach, and communication, specifically helping to build bridges between the scientific community and the public.
- Colorado State University, Fort Collins, CO: Ecology & Education; M.S. 2016
- Colorado State University, Fort Collins, CO: Atmospheric Science; M.S. 2011
- University of Washington, Seattle, WA: Atmospheric Science (Applied Math Minor); B.S. 2007
- Research & Evaluation Coordinator, 2017-2018, Exploratorium, San Francisco, CA
- Graduate Research & Teaching Assistant, 2013-2016, Colorado State University, Fort Collins, CO
- CoCoRaHS Education & Outreach Assistant, 2012-2013, Colorado Climate Center, Fort Collins, CO
- Climate 101 Course Education Consultant, 2012-2013, Cooperative Institute for Research in Environmental Sciences, Boulder, CO
- Graduate Research & Teaching Assistant, 2008-2012, Colorado State University, Fort Collins, CO
Peer Reviewed Publications
Boyd, K.J., Balgopal, M.M., & Birner, T. (In review). Exploring the sky: Investigating discourse dynamics in an atmospheric science educational outreach program. International Journal of Science Education Part B: Communication and Public Engagement.
Sample McMeeking, L.B., Trott, C.D., Bowker, C.L., & Boyd, K.J. (In review). Long-term academic and career impacts of undergraduate science research. Journal of Research in Science Teaching.
Sample McMeeking, L.B., Weinberg, A.E., Boyd, K.J., & Balgopal, M.M. (2016). Student Perceptions of Interest, Learning, and Engagement from an Informal Traveling Science Museum. School Science and Mathematics, 116(5), 253-264.
Boyd, K.J., & Kummerow, C.D. (2012). Regional aerosol effects on precipitation: An observational study. M.S. thesis, Department of Atmospheric Science, Colorado State University, 95 pp.
Boyd, K. Gutwill, J., & Soleto, R. (2017). Visitor experience study 2016-2017 report: Exploratorium (Unpublished technical report). Exploratorium, San Francisco, CA.
Boyd, K. (2016). Outreach as a unifying concept in science education and science communication (White paper literature review). Center for Advancement of Informal Science Education, www.informalscience.org.
Boyd, K., Bowker, C., & Sample McMeeking, L. (2015). CMMAP Education & Diversity: Annual Report for FY2014 (Unpublished technical report). Colorado State University STEM Center, Fort Collins, CO.