Tara Banerjee will work with members of the Chemical Sciences Laboratory at NOAA to improve fundamental understanding of the drivers of global climate change and large-scale atmospheric dynamics. In today’s changing world, understanding our planet’s climate sensitivity to increasing atmospheric carbon dioxide concentrations is critical to future climate projections that inform policy makers. However, our atmosphere contains a number of other key forcing agents, such as aerosols and non-CO2 greenhouse gases, whose effectiveness in changing Earth’s global surface temperature remains poorly quantified and understood. In this project, Tara will conduct a series of targeted simulations with NCAR’s Earth System Model in order to quantify effectiveness of these forcing agents in changing Earth’s global climate and atmospheric circulation patterns, relative to CO2. The project will also investigate the extent to which internal variability might hinder our detection of these changes. This work will provide valuable results that quantify the degree and impacts of climate change, reconcile model-observational discrepancies, and inform both long- and short-term climate policy.
- Polvani LM; Banerjee A; Chemke R; Doddridge EW; Ferreira D; Gnanadesikan A; Holland MA; Kostov Y; Marshall J; Seviour WJM. (Nov 2021). Interannual SAM Modulation of Antarctic Sea Ice Extent Does Not Account for Its Long-Term Trends, Pointing to a Limited Role for Ozone Depletion. Geophysical Research Letters , 48(21). 10.1029/2021GL094871
- Banerjee A; Butler AH; Polvani LM; Robock A; Simpson IR; Sun L. (May 2021). Robust winter warming over Eurasia under stratospheric sulfate geoengineering - the role of stratospheric dynamics. Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics , 21(9), 6985-6997. 10.5194/acp-21-6985-2021
- Keeble J; Hassler B; Banerjee A; Checa-Garcia R; Chiodo G; Davis S; Eyring V; Griffiths PT; Morgenstern O; Nowack P. (Mar 2021). Evaluating stratospheric ozone and water vapour changes in CMIP6 models from 1850 to 2100. Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics , 21(6), 5015-5061. 10.5194/acp-21-5015-2021
- Waugh DW; Banerjee A; Fyfe JC; Polvani LM. (Sep 2020). Contrasting Recent Trends in Southern Hemisphere Westerlies Across Different Ocean Basins. Geophysical Research Letters , 47(18). 10.1029/2020GL088890
- Banerjee A; Fyfe JC; Polvani LM; Waugh D; Chang K-L. (Mar 2020). A pause in Southern Hemisphere circulation trends due to the Montreal Protocol. Nature , 579(7800), 544-548. 10.1038/s41586-020-2120-4