Kathryn (Katie) Boyd is an Education and Outreach Associate at CIRES. She works on several projects for CIRES, including serving as the program manager for the CLEAN network and collection of educational resources. She also conducts the research and evaluation efforts on multiple large education projects. She earned her BS from the University of Washington and her MS from Colorado State University (CSU), both in Atmospheric Science. During these programs, she became interested in science education and outreach and worked with many groups helping the general public learn about weather & climate. She then returned to school and completed an interdisciplinary program with a focus on science education research, receiving a second MS in Ecology and Education from CSU. Her professional interests include science education, outreach, and communication, specifically helping to build bridges between the scientific community and the public.
- Colorado State University, Fort Collins, CO: Ecology & Education; M.S. 2016
- Colorado State University, Fort Collins, CO: Atmospheric Science; M.S. 2011
- University of Washington, Seattle, WA: Atmospheric Science (Applied Math Minor); B.S. 2007
- Research & Evaluation Coordinator, 2017-2018, Exploratorium, San Francisco, CA
- Graduate Research & Teaching Assistant, 2013-2016, Colorado State University, Fort Collins, CO
- CoCoRaHS Education & Outreach Assistant, 2012-2013, Colorado Climate Center, Fort Collins, CO
- Climate 101 Course Education Consultant, 2012-2013, Cooperative Institute for Research in Environmental Sciences, Boulder, CO
- Graduate Research & Teaching Assistant, 2008-2012, Colorado State University, Fort Collins, CO
- Program Manager Climate Literacy and Energy Awareness Network (CLEAN) – Manage a large collection of resources for teaching about climate and energy as well as a support network for climate and energy educators. Support climate literacy efforts nationally.
- Evaluation at CIRES - Manage evaluation efforts for several large educational and scientific projects funded by NSF, NOAA, and NASA.
- Evaluation at the Exploratorium – Involved with many evaluation efforts for exhibits and museum experience including testing survey methods, data collection, data analysis, and writing evaluation reports. Coordinated research and evaluation efforts for large NSF and IMLS funded projects.
- Evaluation at the Colorado State University STEM Center – Involved with evaluation of large NSF-funded education and outreach projects including instrument development, data collection, data analysis, and evaluation reports.
- CoCoRaHS School Initiative – Coordinated efforts to introduce rain gauges into schools and recruit teachers for the ‘CoCoRaHS for Schools’ program. Managed communication with teachers, developed marketing tools, and trained students and teachers to measure precipitation. Presented about water topics in schools and at water festivals across Colorado.
- Climate Course Consultant – Provided consultation in the development and implementation of an online climate course for formal and informal educators. Developed and presented a webinar about the hydrologic cycle and other topics related to climate.
Boyd, K.J., Okochi, C., Littrell, M.K., Batchelor, R.L., Gold, A.U., & Leckey, E. (2021). Career implications for college student mentors through role in a climate film outreach program for adolescents. International Journal of Science Education, Part B: Communication and Public Engagement. doi: 10.1080/21548455.2021.1996656.
Boyd, K.J., Gold, A.U., & Littrell, M.K. (2021). Teaching practices around natural hazards and community resilience in Colorado. Journal of Geoscience Education, 1-14. doi: 10.1080/10899995.2021.1964319.
Gold, A.U., Rose, A., Forsythe, S., & Boyd, K.J., (In review). Creative Evaluation to Improve your Programming - Practical Tools and Tips for Evaluating Broader Impact Programs. In L.A. Van Egeren & S. Renoe (Eds.), The Handbook of Broader Impacts (20pp). Michigan State University Press.
Sample McMeeking, L.B., Trott, C.D., Bowker, C.L., & Boyd, K.J. (2019). Exploring the long-term academic and career impacts of undergraduate research in geoscience: A case study. Journal of Geoscience Education, 68(1), 65-79. doi:10.1090/10899992.2019.1591146.
Sample McMeeking, L.B., Weinberg, A.E., Boyd, K.J., & Balgopal, M.M. (2016). Student Perceptions of Interest, Learning, and Engagement from an Informal Traveling Science Museum. School Science and Mathematics, 116(5), 253-264. doi: 10.1111/ssm.12176.
Boyd, K., Balgopal, M., & Birner, T. (April, 2016). Exploring the sky: Investigating discourse dynamics in an atmospheric science educational outreach program. Paper presented at the National Association for Research in Science Teaching Annual International Conference. Baltimore, MD.
Sample McMeeking, L.B., Weinberg, A.E., & Boyd, K.J. (April, 2015). Participatory action research experiences for undergraduates. Paper presented at the annual meeting of the American Educational Research Association. Chicago, IL.
Boyd, K.J., & Kummerow, C.D. (2012). Regional aerosol effects on precipitation: An observational study. M.S. thesis, Department of Atmospheric Science, Colorado State University, 95 pp.
Woolner, E. & Boyd, K. (2023). Navigating the New Arctic Community Office Community & Researcher Focus Groups Evaluation Report (Unpublished technical report, 22pp). CIRES Education & Outreach, Boulder, CO.
Boyd, K. & Okochi, C. (2023). We are Water 2022 Site Implementation Report (Unpublished data visualization slide deck, 25pp). CIRES Education & Outreach, Boulder, CO.
Boyd, K., Marsh, C., Mott, J., Fiorile, G., & Crim, H. (2023). CLEAN Accelerating Climate Capacity, Engagement, and Leadership Summit (ACCELS) Evaluation Report (Unpublished technical report, 32pp). CIRES Education & Outreach, Boulder, CO.
Boyd, K. (2023). HEARTForce Summative Evaluation Report (Unpublished technical report, 38pp). CIRES Education & Outreach, Boulder, CO.
Boyd, K. & Marsh, C. (2021). Navigating the New Arctic Community Office Researcher Needs Assessment Evaluation Report (Unpublished technical report, 89pp). CIRES Education & Outreach, Boulder, CO.
Boyd, K. (2021). HEARTForce 2020-2021 Curriculum Implementation Report (Unpublished technical report, 36pp). CIRES Education & Outreach, Boulder, CO.
Boyd, K. & Lynds, S. (2021). Enhancement of Astronomy and Earth Science Teaching Using High Resolution Immersive Environments: January 2016-December 2020 Evaluation Summary (Unpublished technical report, 53pp). CIRES Education & Outreach, Boulder, CO.
Boyd, K. & Okochi, C. (2020). We are Water Needs Assessment Report (Unpublished technical report, 74pp). CIRES Education & Outreach, Boulder, CO.
Boyd, K. (2019). HEARTForce Evaluation Report: Needs Assessment (Unpublished technical report, 26pp). CIRES Education & Outreach, Boulder, CO.
Boyd, K., Gutwill, J., & Soleto, R. (2017). Visitor experience study 2016-2017 report: Exploratorium (Unpublished technical report). Exploratorium, San Francisco, CA.
Boyd, K. (2016). Outreach as a unifying concept in science education and science communication (Technical paper literature review). Center for Advancement of Informal Science Education, www.informalscience.org.
Boyd, K., Bowker, C., & Sample McMeeking, L. (2015). CMMAP Education & Diversity: Annual Report for FY2014 (Unpublished technical report). Colorado State University STEM Center, Fort Collins, CO.