This module teaches students about ozone’s role in the atmosphere and explores authentic data to compare and contrast conditions that affect ground-level ozone values.
Context for Use
The four DISCOVER-AQ modules can be completed independently, sequentially, or extended into a larger unit of study.
What Students Will Do
- Identify the two main locations of ozone in the atmosphere.
- Explain the chemistry of ground-level ozone pollution formation.
- Analyze data from an upslope ground-level ozone air pollution event.
- Discuss how weather conditions, topography, and time of day and year contribute to an upslope ground-level ozone pollution event.
The “Know Your AQ” curriculum applies the 5E Instructional Model:
- Engage (15 minutes) - Ozone Video & Image
Interest in ground-level ozone is generated and students’ current understanding of ozone’s roles in the atmosphere is addressed.
- Explore (35 minutes) - Ozone Formation
Students participate in kinesthetic activities to explore the process ground-level ozone formation and factors that affect its levels in the atmosphere.
- Explain (30 minutes) - O3nce Upon
Students construct their understanding of conditions that affect ground level ozone formation and transport and develop evidence-based explanations using research data.
- Elaborate (15 minutes) - Ozone Alerts & AQI
Students deepen and expand their understanding of how individuals can access information on air quality conditions and actions that they can take to reduce air pollution.
- Evaluate (5 minutes) - Ozone Quick Quiz
Students and teachers have opportunities to assess students’ basic understanding of ground-level ozone formation.