Ralph F. Milliff is as CIRES researcher interested in understanding Earth's atmosphere-ocean systems on both regional and global scales. He utilizes a large variety of data including Earth-observing satellite data as well as in-situ data, for example. He uses various process models and mathematical methodolgies including Bayesian Hierarhical Models.
He came to CIRES as a Visting Fellow in 2012, working with Baylor Fox-Kemper and Prashant Sardeshmukh.
- William J. Crawford, Polly J. Smith, Ralph F. Milliff, Jerome Fiechter, Christopher K. Wikle, Christopher A. Edwards and Andrew M. Moore. (Dec 2016). Weak constraint four-dimensional variational data assimilation in a model of the Californian Current System. , 2(2). 10.5194/ascmo-2-171-2016
- Vadas, SL, JJ Makela, MJ Nicolls and RF Milliff. (Nov 2015). Excitation of gravity waves by ocean surface wave packets: Upward propagation and reconstruction of the thermospheric gravity wave field. JOURNAL OF GEOPHYSICAL RESEARCH-SPACE PHYSICS , 120(11). 10.1002/2015JA021430
- Hamlington, BD, RF Milliff, H van Loon and KY Kim. (Mar 2015). A Southern Hemisphere sea level pressure-based precursor for ENSO warm and cold events. JOURNAL OF GEOPHYSICAL RESEARCH-ATMOSPHERES , 120(6). 10.1002/2014JD022674
- Dobricic, S, CK Wikle, RF Milliff, N Pinardi and LM Berliner. (Jan 2015). Assimilation of oceanographic observations with estimates of vertical background-error covariances by a Bayesian hierarchical model. QUARTERLY JOURNAL OF THE ROYAL METEOROLOGICAL SOCIETY , 141(686). 10.1002/qj.2348
- Wikle, CK, RF Milliff, R Herbei and WB Leeds. (Nov 2013). Modern Statistical Methods in Oceanography: A Hierarchical Perspective. STATISTICAL SCIENCE , 28(4). 10.1214/13-STS436
- Fiechter, J, R Herbei, W Leeds, J Brown, R Milliff, C Wikle, A Moore and T Powell. (Jun 2013). A Bayesian parameter estimation method applied to a marine ecosystem model for the coastal Gulf of Alaska. ECOLOGICAL MODELLING , 258. 10.1016/j.ecolmodel.2013.03.003
- Leeds, WB, CK Wikle, J Fiechter, J Brown and RF Milliff. (Feb 2013). Modeling 3-D spatio-temporal biogeochemical processes with a forest of 1-D statistical emulators. ENVIRONMETRICS , 24(1). 10.1002/env.2187