My background in interdisciplinary studies has guided my research interests to include measures of ecosystem structure and function as products of human-ecosystem interactions. One of my current research projects is looking at the combined effects of invasive grass species and altered fire regimes on carbon storage across U.S. ecosystems. My dissertation examined the influence of land use and management practices on riparian forest structure and composition, secondary forest regrowth, and soil carbon storage in the Brazilian Amazon. I use a combination of geospatial analysis, remote sensing, ecosystem modeling, and field studies in my research. Other recent research projects include the study of 1) global patterns of biomass burning vs. fossil fuel combustion and 2) the role of humans in starting large fires across the U.S. and under what conditions (e.g., biomass, fuel moisture, wind speed) these large fires occurred.
My current research is looking at the combined effects of invasive grass species and altered fire regimes on carbon storage across the U.S. I'm conducting a meta-analysis to compare carbon storage in cheatgrass-invaded vs. native sagebrush ecosystems in the Great Basin.
- Balch, JK; Nagy, RC; Halpern, BS (2020), NEON is seeding the next revolution in ecology. Version: 1 FRONTIERS IN ECOLOGY AND THE ENVIRONMENT 18 (1) 3-3, issn: 1540-9295, doi: 10.1002/fee.2152
- Fusco, EJ; Finn, JT; Balch, JK; Nagy, RC; Bradley, BA (2019), Invasive grasses increase fire occurrence and frequency across US ecoregions. Version: 1 PROCEEDINGS OF THE NATIONAL ACADEMY OF SCIENCES OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA 116 (47) 23594-23599, issn: 0027-8424, doi: 10.1073/pnas.1908253116, PubMed ID: 31685633
- Joseph, M; Rossi, MW; Mietkiewicz, NP; Mahood, AL; Cattu, ME; St Dents, LA; Nagy, RC; Iglesias, V; Abatzoglou, JT; Balch, JK (2019), Spatiotemporal prediction of wildfire size extremes with Bayesian finite sample maxima. Ecol. Appl. Version: 1 29 (6) , issn: 1051-0761, doi: 10.1002/eap.1898, PubMed ID: 30980779
- Joseph, M. B., Rossi, M., Mietkiewicz, N. P., Mahood, A. L., Cattau, M. E., St. Denis, L. A., Nagy, R. C., Iglesias, V., Abatzaglou, J., Balch, J. K.. (2018), Spatiotemporal prediction of wildfire extremes with Bayesian finite sample maxima. bioRxiv Version: 1 384115 , doi: 10.1101/384115
- Nagy, RC, S Porder, P Brando, EA Davidson, AMES Figueira, C Neill, S Riskin and S Trumbore (2018), Soil Carbon Dynamics in Soybean Cropland and Forests in Mato Grosso, Brazil. J. Geophys. Res.-Biogeosci. Version: 1 123 (1) 18-31, issn: 2169-8953, ids: FW7QB, doi: 10.1002/2017JG004269, PubMed ID: 29938142
- Nagy, RC, E Fusco, B Bradley, JT Abatzoglou, and J Balch (2018), Human-Related Ignitions Increase the Number of Large Wildfires across U.S. Ecoregions. Fire Version: 1 1 (1) , Art. No. 4, doi: 10.3390/fire1010004
- Balch, JK, BA Bradley, JT Abatzoglou, RC Nagy, EJ Fusco and AL Mahood (2017), Human-started wildfires expand the fire niche across the United States. Version: 1 PROCEEDINGS OF THE NATIONAL ACADEMY OF SCIENCES OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA 114 (11) 2946-2951, issn: 0027-8424, doi: 10.1073/pnas.1617394114, PubMed ID: 28242690
- Nagy, RC, EB Rastetter, C Neill and S Porder (2017), Nutrient limitation in tropical secondary forests following different management practices. Ecol. Appl. Version: 1 27 (3) 734-755, issn: 1051-0761, ids: ER1TO, doi: 10.1002/eap.1478, PubMed ID: 27930831
- Balch, JK, RC Nagy, S Archibald, DMJS Bowman, MA Moritz, CI Roos, AC Scott and GJ Williamson (2016), Global combustion: the connection between fossil fuel and biomass burning emissions (1997-2010). Version: 1 PHILOSOPHICAL TRANSACTIONS OF THE ROYAL SOCIETY B-BIOLOGICAL SCIENCES Royal-Society Scientific Meeting 371 (1696) , Royal Soc, London, ENGLAND, SEP 14-15, 2015, Art. No. 20150177, issn: 0962-8436, doi: 10.1098/rstb.2015.0177, PubMed ID: 27216509