- Remote-sensing, surface and balloon-borne monitoring of ozone
- Attribution of long-term changes in stratospheric and tropospheric ozone to dynamical and chemical drivers
- Long-term changes in the position of subtropical and polar jets
- Surface ozone variability in relation to pollution and wildfires
- Validation of satellite-derived ozone profiles and total columns
- Homogenization of ozone time series
- UNEP/WMO Ozone Assessments
- Ozone trends, SPARC activity LOTUS - Long-term Ozone Trends and Uncertainties in the Stratosphere
- SPARC activity OCTAV-UTLS - Observed Composition Trends And Variability in the Upper Troposphere and Lower Stratosphere
- Tropospheric composition variability and long-term ozone changes, IGAC TOAR activity
CIRES lead of Ozone and Water Vapor (OZWV) group in the Global Monitoring Laboratory (GML), NOAA/ESRL. Dr. Irina Petropavlovskikh is a Senior Scientist at CIRES, University of Colorado. The primary mission of the group is to carry out original global monitoring of ozone variability in the Earth’s upper and lower atmosphere, with emphasis on the stratospheric ozone depletion/recovery, climate change, and regional air quality. The measurement methods deployed by NOAA’s ozone monitoring program are remote sensing techniques available from the ground-based instruments such as the Dobson spectrophotometer (15 stations), Brewer spectrometer (five stations), and from the NOAA satellite platforms. In addition, the balloon-borne methods are used to monitor ozone (15 stations) and water vapor (three stations) vertical distribution in the troposphere and low stratosphere. The air-quality monitoring ozone program is supported by the light aircraft boundary layer profiling and through the continuous surface and tower ozone sampling. The program also focuses on data analysis, development, and validation of the data processing methods for obtaining quality assured and calibrated data for NOAA and WMO-guided archival centers, and for open-access distribution.
For the past 25 years, Dr. Petropavlovskikh was affiliated with CIRES and worked on numerous NOAA projects. She had successfully collaborated in her research with national and international scientists. Among a few accomplishments, she lists the development and deployment of an algorithm to retrieve trend-quality ozone profiles from Dobson zenith sky measurements in the frame of the WMO Dobson network. The updated Umkehr algorithm (UMK04) was finished and published in 2005 (http://www.srrb.noaa.gov/research/umkehr). She also worked on a similar algorithm for the NOAA/EPA UV Brewer network instruments under the EPA STAR grant-funded project. The PC software for Brewer data processing was developed in collaboration with the international community and implemented in the world-wide Brewer network operations (http://www.o3soft.eu/o3bumkehr.html ). Further improvements and modifications to the algorithm were made under the 2010 NASA grant-funded project, as the wide-network distribution is pending based on the outcome of the validation result.
Dr. Petropavlovskikh's area of scientific interest include
- attributions of long-term variability in the tropospheric and stratospheric ozone changes in association with atmospheric chemistry and long-range transport processes, with special focus on UTLS.
- trend analyses (statistical modeling)
- theoretical modeling of polarized UV radiation in airborne and ground-based spectral radiation measurements, including interference of clouds and aerosols
- applications of the remote sensing and optimization of ozone retrieval algorithms
- satellite validations for ozone profiles and column products
- homogenization of long-term combined ozone records
Dr. Petropavlovskikh has served on several national and international committees
- Since 2004 she is involved in the US science team effort to validate the OMI instrument on the board of the AURA satellite. She developed and successfully applied the algorithm to retrieve ozone partial column from actinic fight measurements from the CAFS instrument flown aboard of DC-8 and WB-57 NASA aircraft in four validation missions.
- Since 2001 Dr. Petropavlovskikh also serves on the science advisory board for the National Polar-orbiting Operational Environmental Satellite System (NPOESS), Ozone Mapping and Profiler Suite (OMPS). Currently, she is leading the NOAA NESDIS/GML collaborative group to improve satellite operational products for atmospheric ozone and water vapor monitoring.
- Dr. Petropavlovskikh provides expertise and consulting for the international group of experts on Umkehr data organized by WMO, IO3C Umkehr sub-committee, and Ozone/UV SAG committee under the WMO.
- She is the representative of the Dobson/Brewer working group for the Network for the Detection of the Atmospheric Composition changes (NDACC)
- Dr. Petropavlovskikh is serving the second term as the Secretary of the International Ozone Commission.
Dr. Petropavlovskikh taught the PAOS graduate-level course “ Radiative processes in Planetary Atmosphere”, ATOC 5560 Fall 2003, with 11 students attending and 3 hours of credit.
Dr. Petropavlovskikh is co-lead on the new SPARC Activity LOTUS – Long-term Ozone Trends and Uncertainties in the Stratosphere (https://www.sparc-climate.org/activities/ozone-trends/). She is also co-lead on the SPARC activity OCTAV-UTLS – Observed Composition Trends And Variability in the Upper Troposphere and Lower Stratosphere (https://www.sparc-climate.org/activities/octav-utls/). Dr. Petropavlovskikh lead satellite validation activities for ozone instruments, i.e. Aura MLS, JPSS OMP, ISS SAGE III. She develops radiative transfer codes and retrieval algorithms for remote sensing techniques. Dr. Petropavlovskikh is involved in the IGAC TOAR activity - trends in tropospheric ozone (http://www.igacproject.org/activities/TOAR). She is interested in the natural and anthropogenic changes in atmospheric composition in the Arctic, Antarctic, and at the high mountain altitudes.
Honors and Awards
- Dr. Petropavlovskikh is the recipient of the 2008 Stratospheric Ozone Protection Award from the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) for outstanding scientific contributions to stratospheric ozone protection.
- Dr. Petropavlovskikh is the recipient of the 2020 CIRES outstanding performance award
- Bernays N; Jaffe DA; Petropavlovskikh I; Effertz P. (May 2022). Comment on "Comparison of ozone measurement methods in biomass burning smoke: an evaluation under field and laboratory conditions" by Long et al. (2021). Atmospheric Measurement Techniques , 15(10), 3189-3192. 10.5194/amt-15-3189-2022
- Shams SB; Walden VP; Hannigan JW; Randel WJ; Petropavlovskikh I; Butler AH; de la Camara A. (Apr 2022). Analyzing ozone variations and uncertainties at high latitudes during sudden stratospheric warming events using MERRA-2. Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics , 22(8), 5435-5458. 10.5194/acp-22-5435-2022
- Chang K; Cooper OR; Gaudel A; Allaart M; Ancellet G; Clark H; Godin?Beekmann S; Leblanc T; Van Malderen R; Nédélec P. (Apr 2022). Impact of the COVID?19 Economic Downturn on Tropospheric Ozone Trends: An Uncertainty Weighted Data Synthesis for Quantifying Regional Anomalies Above Western North America and Europe. , 3(2). 10.1029/2021av000542
- Petropavlovskikh I; Miyagawa K; McClure-Beegle A; Johnson B; Wild J; Strahan S; Wargan K; Querel R; Flynn L; Beach E. (Mar 2022). Optimized Umkehr profile algorithm for ozone trend analyses. Atmospheric Measurement Techniques , 15(6), 1849-1870. 10.5194/amt-15-1849-2022
- Langford AO; Senff CJ; Alvarez RJ; Aikin KC; Baidar S; Bonin TA; Brewer WA; Brioude J; Brown SS; Burley JD. (Feb 2022). The Fires, Asian, and Stratospheric Transport-Las Vegas Ozone Study (FAST-LVOS). Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics , 22(3), 1707-1737. 10.5194/acp-22-1707-2022
- Kumar P; Kuttippurath J; von Der Gathen P; Petropavlovskikh I; Johnson B; McClure-Begley A; Cristofanelli P; Bonasoni P; Barlasina ME; Sanchez R. (Jun 2021). The Increasing Surface Ozone and Tropospheric Ozone in Antarctica and Their Possible Drivers. Environmental Science and Technology (Washington) , 8542-8553. 10.1021/acs.est.0c08491
- Steinbrecht W; Kubistin D; Plass-Duelmer C; Davies J; Tarasick DW; von der Gathen P; Deckelmann H; Jepsen N; Kivi R; Lyall N. (Mar 2021). COVID-19 Crisis Reduces Free Tropospheric Ozone Across the Northern Hemisphere. Geophysical Research Letters , 48(5). 10.1029/2020GL091987
- Yang X; Blechschmidt A-M; Bognar K; McClure-Begley A; Morris S; Petropavlovskikh I; Richter A; Skov H; Strong K; Tarasick DW. (Dec 2020). Pan-Arctic surface ozone: modelling vs. measurements. Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics , 20(24), 15937-15967. 10.5194/acp-20-15937-2020
- Zhang L; Lin M; Langford AO; Horowitz LW; Senff CJ; Klovenski E; Wang Y; Alvarez RJ; Petropavlovskikh I; Cullis P. (Sep 2020). Characterizing sources of high surface ozone events in the southwestern US with intensive field measurements and two global models. Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics , 20(17), 10379-10400. 10.5194/acp-20-10379-2020
- Chang K-L; Cooper OR; Gaudel A; Petropavlovskikh I; Thouret V. (Aug 2020). Statistical regularization for trend detection: an integrated approach for detecting long-term trends from sparse tropospheric ozone profiles. Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics , 20(16), 9915-9938. 10.5194/acp-20-9915-2020
- Abrahamsen EP; Barreira S; Bitz CM; Butler A; Clem KR; Colwell S; Coy L; de Laat J; du Plessis MD; Fogt RL. (Aug 2020). Antarctica and the Southern Ocean. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society , 101(8), S287-S320. 10.1175/bams-d-20-0090.1
- Cooper OR; Schultz MG; Schroeder S; Chang K-L; Gaudel A; Benitez GC; Cuevas E; Froehlich M; Galbally IE; Molloy S. (Jun 2020). Multi-decadal surface ozone trends at globally distributed remote locations. Elementa: Science of the Anthropocene , 8. 10.1525/elementa.420
- Eleftheratos, K; Kapsomenakis, J; Zerefos, CS; Bais, AF; Fountoulakis, I; Dameris, M; Jockel, P; Haslerud, AS; Godin-Beekmann, S; Steinbrecht, W; Petropavlovskikh, I; Brogniez, C; Leblanc, T; Liley, JB; Querel, R; Swart, DPJ. (Mar 2020). Possible Effects of Greenhouse Gases to Ozone Profiles and DNA Active UV-B Irradiance at Ground Level. ATMOSPHERE , 11(3). 10.3390/atmos11030228
- Davis, S.M., Hurst, D.F., Rosenlof, K.H., Selkirk, H.B., and H. Voemel. (Jan 2020). Stratospheric Water Vapor [in State of the Climate in 2019]. , 101. 10.1175/2019bamsstateoftheclimate.1
- Yang, X., Blechschmidt, A.-M., Bognar, K., McClure–Begley, A., Morris, S., Petropavlovskikh, I., Richter, A., Skov, H., Strong, K., Tarasick, D., Uttal, T., Vestenius, M., and Zhao, X. (Jan 2020). Pan-Arctic surface ozone: modelling vs measurements. 10.5194/acp-2019-984
- Arndt, DS; Blunden, J; Dunn, RJH; Stanitski, DM; Gobron, N; Willett, KM; Sanchez-Lugo, A; Berrisford, P; Morice, C; Nicolas, JP; Carrea, L; Woolway, RI; Merchant, CJ; Dokulil, MT; de Eyto, E; DeGasperi, CL; Korhonen, J; Marszelewski, W; May, L; Paterson, AM; Rusak, JA; Schladow, SG; Schmid, M; Verburg, P; Watanabe, S; Weyhenmeyer, GA; King, AD; Donat, MG; Christy, JR; Po-Chedley, S; Mears, CR; Haimberger, L; Covey, C; Randel, W; Noetzli, J; Biskaborn, BK; Christiansen, HH; Isaksen, K; Schoeneich, P; Smith, S; Vieira, G; Zhao, L; Streletskiy, DA; Robinson, DA; Pelto, M; Berry, DI; Bosilovich, MG; Simmons, AJ; Mears, C; Ho, SP; Bock, O; Zhou, X; Nicolas, J; Vose, RS; Adler, R; Gu, G; Becker, A; Yin, X; Tye, MR; Blenkinsop, S; Bosilovich, MG; Durre, I; Ziese, M; Collow, ABM; Rustemeier, E; Foster, MJ; Di Girolamo, L; Frey, RA; Heidinger, AK; Sun-Mack, S; Phillips, C; Menzel, WP; Stengel, M; Zhao, G; Kim, H; Rodell, M; Li, B; Famiglietti, JS; Scanlon, T; van der Schalie, R; Preimesberger, W; Reimer, C; Hahn, S; G. (Sep 2019). INTRODUCTION. BULLETIN OF THE AMERICAN METEOROLOGICAL SOCIETY , 100(9).
- Shams, SB; Walden, V; Petropavlovskikh, I; Tarasick, D; Kivi, R; Oltmans, S; Johnson, B; Cullis, P; Sterling, CW; Tholix, L; Errera, Q. (Aug 2019). Variations in the vertical profile of ozone at four high-latitude Arctic sites from 2005 to 2017. ATMOSPHERIC CHEMISTRY AND PHYSICS , 19(15). 10.5194/acp-19-9733-2019
- Lu, X; Zhang, L; Zhao, YH; Jacob, DJ; Hu, YY; Hu, L; Gao, M; Liu, X; Petropavlovskikh, I; McClure-Begley, A; Querel, R. (Mar 2019). Surface and tropospheric ozone trends in the Southern Hemisphere since 1990: possible linkages to poleward expansion of the Hadley circulation. SCIENCE BULLETIN , 64(6). 10.1016/j.scib.2018.12.021
- Minschwaner, K; Giljum, AT; Manney, GL; Petropavlovskikh, I; Johnson, BJ; Jordan, AF. (Feb 2019). Detection and classification of laminae in balloon-borne ozonesonde profiles: application to the long-term record from Boulder, Colorado. ATMOSPHERIC CHEMISTRY AND PHYSICS , 19(3). 10.5194/acp-19-1853-2019
- Bahramvash Shams, Shima, Von P. Walden, Samuel Oltmans, Irina Petropavlovskikh, Bryan Johnson, Patrick Cullis, Chance W. Sterling, Laura Thölix, Quentin Errera and Rigel Kivi. (Jan 2019). Drivers of variations in the vertical profile of ozone over Summit Station, Greenland: An analysis of ozonesonde data. 10.5194/acp-2018-620
- Tarasick, D. W., I. E. Galbally, O. R. Cooper, M. G. Schultz, G. Ancellet, T. Leblanc, T. J. Wallington, J. Ziemke, X. Liu, M. Steinbacher, J. Staehelin, C. Vigouroux, J. W. Hannigan, O. Garcia, G. Foret, P. Zanis, E. Weatherhead, I. Petropavlovskikh, H. Worden, M. Osman, J. Liu, K.-L. Chang, A. Gaudel, M. Lin, M. Granados-Munoz, A. M. Thompson, S. J. Oltmans, J. Cuesta, G. Dufour, V. Thouret, B. Hassler, T. Trickl and J. L. Neu. (Jan 2019). Tropospheric Ozone Assessment Report: Tropospheric ozone from 1877 to 2016, observed levels, trends and uncertainties. , 7(1). 10.1525/elementa.376
- Staehelin, J, I Petropavlovskikh, M De Maziere and S Godin-Beekmann. (Nov 2018). The role and performance of ground-based networks in tracking the evolution of the ozone layer. COMPTES RENDUS GEOSCIENCE , 350(7). 10.1016/j.crte.2018.08.007
- Astitha, M, I Kioutsioukis, GA Fisseha, R Bianconi, J Bieser, JH Christensen, OR Cooper, S Galmarini, C Hogrefe, U Im, B Johnson, P Liu, U Nopmongcol, I Petropavlovskikh, E Solazzo, DW Tarasick and G Yarwood. (Oct 2018). Seasonal ozone vertical profiles over North America using the AQMEII3 group of air quality models: model inter-comparison and stratospheric intrusions. ATMOSPHERIC CHEMISTRY AND PHYSICS , 18(19). 10.5194/acp-18-13925-2018
- Gaudel, A, OR Cooper, G Ancellet, B Barret, A Boynard, JP Burrows, C Clerbaux, PF Coheur, J Cuesta, E Cuevas, S Doniki, G Dufour, F Ebojie, G Foret, O Garcia, MJ Granados-Munoz, JW Hannigan, F Hase, B Hassler, G Huang, D Hurtmans, D Jaffe, N Jones, P Kalabokas, B Kerridge, S Kulawik, B Latter, T Leblanc, E Le Flochmoen, W Lin, J Liu, X Liu, E Mahieu, A McClure-Begley, JL Neu, M Osman, M Palm, H Petetin, I Petropavlovskikh, R Querel, N Rahpoe, A Rozanov, MG Schultz, J Schwab, R Siddans, D Smale, M Steinbacher, H Tanimoto, DW Tarasick, V Thouret, AM Thompson, T Trickl, E Weatherhead, C Wespes, HM Worden, C Vigouroux, X Xu, G Zeng and J Ziemke. (May 2018). Tropospheric Ozone Assessment Report: Present-day distribution and trends of tropospheric ozone relevant to climate and global atmospheric chemistry model evaluation. ELEMENTA-SCIENCE OF THE ANTHROPOCENE , 6. 10.1525/elementa.291
- Zerefos, C, J Kapsomenakis, K Eleftheratos, K Tourpali, I Petropavlovskikh, D Hubert, S Godin-Beekmann, W Steinbrecht, S Frith, V Sofieva and B Hassler. (May 2018). Representativeness of single lidar stations for zonally averaged ozone profiles, their trends and attribution to proxies. ATMOSPHERIC CHEMISTRY AND PHYSICS , 18(9). 10.5194/acp-18-6427-2018
- De Maziere, M, AM Thompson, MJ Kurylo, JD Wild, G Bernhard, T Blumenstock, GO Braathen, JW Hannigan, JC Lambert, T Leblanc, TJ Mcgee, G Nedoluha, I Petropavlovskikh, G Seckmeyer, PC Simon, W Steinbrecht and SE Strahan. (Apr 2018). The Network for the Detection of Atmospheric Composition Change (NDACC): history, status and perspectives. ATMOSPHERIC CHEMISTRY AND PHYSICS , 18(7). 10.5194/acp-18-4935-2018
- Moeini, Omid, Zahra Vaziri, C. Thomas McElroy, David W. Tarasick, Robert D. Evans, Irina Petropavlovskikh and Keh-Harng Feng. (Jan 2018). The Effect of Instrumental Stray Light on Brewer and Dobson Total Ozone Measurements. 10.5194/amt-12-327-2019
- Kramarova, N., P.A. Newman, E.R. Nash, S.E. Strahan, C.S. Long, B. Johnson, M.L. Santee, I Petropavlovskikh, G.O. Braathen and L. Coy. (Jan 2018). 2017 Antarctic ozone hole [in State of the Climate in 2017]. , 99(8). 10.1175/2018BAMSStateoftheClimate.
- Davis, S.M., Hurst, D.F., Rosenlof, K.H., Selkirk, H.B., and H. Voemel. (Jan 2018). Stratospheric Water Vapor [in State of the Climate in 2017]. , 99(8). 10.1175/2018bamsstateoftheclimate.1
- Bernhard, G, I Petropavlovskikh and B Mayer. (Dec 2017). Retrieving vertical ozone profiles from measurements of global spectral irradiance. ATMOSPHERIC MEASUREMENT TECHNIQUES , 10(12). 10.5194/amt-10-4979-2017
- Parrish, DD, I Petropavlovskikh and SJ Oltmans. (Oct 2017). Reversal of Long-Term Trend in Baseline Ozone Concentrations at the North American West Coast. GEOPHYSICAL RESEARCH LETTERS , 44(20). 10.1002/2017GL074960
- Schultz, MG, S Schroder, O Lyapina, OR Cooper, I Galbally, I Petropavlovskikh, E von Schneidemesser, H Tanimoto, Y Elshorbany, M Naja, RJ Seguel, U Dauert, P Eckhardt, S Feigenspan, M Fiebig, AG Hjellbrekke, YD Hong, PC Kjeld, H Koide, G Lear, D Tarasick, M Ueno, M Wallasch, D Baumgardner, MT Chuang, R Gillett, M Lee, S Molloy, R Moolla, T Wang, K Sharps, JA Adame, G Ancellet, F Apadula, P Artaxo, ME Barlasina, M Bogucka, P Bonasoni, L Chang, A Colomb, E Cuevas-Agullo, M Cupeiro, A Degorska, AJ Ding, M FrHlich, M Frolova, H Gadhavi, F Gheusi, S Gilge, MY Gonzalez, V Gros, SH Hamad, D Helmig, D Henriques, O Hermansen, R Holla, J Hueber, U Im, DA Jaffe, N Komala, D Kubistin, KS Lam, T Laurila, H Lee, I Levy, C Mazzoleni, LR Mazzoleni, A McClure-Begley, M Mohamad, M Murovec, M Navarro-Comas, F Nicodim, D Parrish, KA Read, N Reid, NRL Ries, P Saxena, JJ Schwab, . (Oct 2017). Tropospheric Ozone Assessment Report: Database and metrics data of global surface ozone observations. ELEMENTA-SCIENCE OF THE ANTHROPOCENE , 5. 10.1525/elementa.244
- Evans, RD, I Petropavlovskikh, A McClure-Begley, G McConville, D Quincy and K Miyagawa. (Oct 2017). Technical note: The US Dobson station network data record prior to 2015, re-evaluation of NDACC and WOUDC archived records with WinDobson processing software. ATMOSPHERIC CHEMISTRY AND PHYSICS , 17(19). 10.5194/acp-17-12051-2017
- Herman, J, R Evans, A Cede, N Abuhassan, I Petropavlovskikh, G McConville, K Miyagawa and B Noirot. (Sep 2017). Ozone comparison between Pandora #34, Dobson #061, OMI, and OMPS in Boulder, Colorado, for the period December 2013-December 2016. ATMOSPHERIC MEASUREMENT TECHNIQUES , 10(9). 10.5194/amt-10-3539-2017
- Steinbrecht, W, L Froidevaux, R Fuller, R Wang, J Anderson, C Roth, A Bourassa, D Degenstein, R Damadeo, J Zawodny, S Frith, R McPeters, P Bhartia, J Wild, C Long, S Davis, K Rosenlof, V Sofieva, K Walker, N Rahpoe, A Rozanov, M Weber, A Laeng, T von Clarmann, G Stiller, N Kramarova, S Godin-Beekmann, T Leblanc, R Querel, D Swart, I Boyd, K Hocke, N Kampfer, EM Barras, L Moreira, G Nedoluha, C Vigouroux, T Blumenstock, M Schneider, O Garcia, N Jones, E Mahieu, D Smale, M Kotkamp, J Robinson, I Petropavlovskikh, N Harris, B Hassler, D Hubert and F Tummon. (Sep 2017). An update on ozone profile trends for the period 2000 to 2016. ATMOSPHERIC CHEMISTRY AND PHYSICS , 17(17). 10.5194/acp-17-10675-2017
- Chang, KL, I Petropavlovskikh, OR Cooper, MG Schultz and T Wang. (Sep 2017). Regional trend analysis of surface ozone observations from monitoring networks in eastern North America, Europe and East Asia. ELEMENTA-SCIENCE OF THE ANTHROPOCENE , 5. 10.1525/elementa.243
- Leonard, M, I Petropavlovskikh, MY Lin, A McClure-Begley, BJ Johnson, SJ Oltmans and D Tarasick. (Jun 2017). An assessment of 10-year NOAA aircraft-based tropospheric ozone profiling in Colorado. ATMOSPHERIC ENVIRONMENT , 158. 10.1016/j.atmosenv.2017.03.013
- Zerefos, CS, K Eleftheratos, J Kapsomenakis, S Solomos, A Inness, D Balis, A Redondas, H Eskes, M Allaart, V Amiridis, A Dahlback, V De Bock, H Diemoz, R Engelmann, P Eriksen, V Fioletov, J Grobner, A Heikkila, I Petropavlovskikh, J Jaroslawski, W Josefsson, T Karppinen, U Kohler, C Meleti, C Repapis, J Rimmer, V Savinykh, V Shirotov, AM Siani, ARD Smedley, M Stanek and R Stubi. (Jan 2017). Detecting volcanic sulfur dioxide plumes in the Northern Hemisphere using the Brewer spectrophotometers, other networks, and satellite observations. ATMOSPHERIC CHEMISTRY AND PHYSICS , 17(1). 10.5194/acp-17-551-2017
- Orphal, J, J Staehelin, J Tamminen, G Braathen, MR De Backer, A Bais, D Balis, A Barbe, PK Bhartia, M Birk, JB Burkholder, K Chance, T von Clarmann, A Cox, D Degenstein, R Evans, JM Flaud, D Flittner, S Godin-Beekmann, V Gorshelev, A Gratien, E Hare, C Janssen, E Kyrola, T McElroy, R McPeters, M Pastel, M Petersen, I Petropavlovskikh, B Picquet-Varrault, M Pitts, G Labow, M Rotger-Languereau, T Leblanc, C Lerot, X Liu, P Moussay, A Redondas, M Van Roozendael, SP Sander, M Schneider, A Serdyuchenko, P Veefkind, J Viallon, C Viatte, G Wagner, M Weber, RI Wielgosz and C Zehner. (Sep 2016). Absorption cross-sections of ozone in the ultraviolet and visible spectral regions: Status report 2015. JOURNAL OF MOLECULAR SPECTROSCOPY , 327. 10.1016/j.jms.2016.07.007
- Dlugokencky, E.J., B.D. Hall, M.J. Crotwell, S.A. Montzka, G. Dutton, J. Muhle and J.W. Elkins. (Aug 2016). Long-lived Greenhouse Gases [in 'State of the Climate in 2015']. , 97(8). 10.1175/2016bamsstateoftheclimate.1
- Minschwaner, K, GL Manney, I Petropavlovskikh, LA Torres, ZD Lawrence, B Sutherland, AM Thompson, BJ Johnson, Z Butterfield, MK Dubey, L Froidevaux, A Lambert, WG Read and MJ Schwartz. (Nov 2015). Signature of a tropical Pacific cyclone in the composition of the upper troposphere over Socorro, NM. GEOPHYSICAL RESEARCH LETTERS , 42(21). 10.1002/2015GL065824
- Lin, MY, LW Horowitz, OR Cooper, D Tarasick, S Conley, LT Iraci, B Johnson, T Leblanc, I Petropavlovskikh and EL Yates. (Oct 2015). Revisiting the evidence of increasing springtime ozone mixing ratios in the free troposphere over western North America. GEOPHYSICAL RESEARCH LETTERS , 42(20). 10.1002/2015GL065311
- Petropavlovskikh, I, R Evans, G McConville, GL Manney and HE Rieder. (Jan 2015). The influence of the North Atlantic Oscillation and El Nino-Southern Oscillation on mean and extreme values of column ozone over the United States. ATMOSPHERIC CHEMISTRY AND PHYSICS , 15(3). 10.5194/acp-15-1585-2015
- Herman, J, R Evans, A Cede, N Abuhassan, I Petropavlovskikh and G McConville. (Jan 2015). Comparison of ozone retrievals from the Pandora spectrometer system and Dobson spectrophotometer in Boulder, Colorado. ATMOSPHERIC MEASUREMENT TECHNIQUES , 8(8). 10.5194/amt-8-3407-2015
- Harris, NRP, B Hassler, F Tummon, GE Bodeker, D Hubert, I Petropavlovskikh, W Steinbrecht, J Anderson, PK Bhartia, CD Boone, A Bourassa, SM Davis, D Degenstein, A Delcloo, SM Frith, L Froidevaux, S Godin-Beekmann, N Jones, MJ Kurylo, E Kyrola, M Laine, ST Leblanc, JC Lambert, B Liley, E Mahieu, A Maycock, M de Maziere, A Parrish, R Querel, KH Rosenlof, C Roth, C Sioris, J Staehelin, RS Stolarski, R Stubi, J Tamminen, C Vigouroux, KA Walker, HJ Wang, J Wild and JM Zawodny. (Jan 2015). Past changes in the vertical distribution of ozone - Part 3: Analysis and interpretation of trends. ATMOSPHERIC CHEMISTRY AND PHYSICS , 15(17). 10.5194/acp-15-9965-2015
- Flynn, L, C Long, X Wu, R Evans, CT Beck, I Petropavlovskikh, G McConville, W Yu, Z Zhang, J Niu, E Beach, Y Hao, C Pan, B Sen, M Novicki, S Zhou and C Seftor. (May 2014). Performance of the Ozone Mapping and Profiler Suite (OMPS) products. JOURNAL OF GEOPHYSICAL RESEARCH-ATMOSPHERES , 119(10). 10.1002/2013JD020467
- Miyagawa, K, I Petropavlovskikh, RD Evans, C Long, J Wild, GL Manney and WH Daffer. (Jan 2014). Long-term changes in the upper stratospheric ozone at Syowa, Antarctica. ATMOSPHERIC CHEMISTRY AND PHYSICS , 14(8). 10.5194/acp-14-3945-2014
- Hassler, B, I Petropavlovskikh, J Staehelin, T August, PK Bhartia, C Clerbaux, D Degenstein, M De Maziere, BM Dinelli, A Dudhia, G Dufour, SM Frith, L Froidevaux, S Godin-Beekmann, J Granville, NRP Harris, K Hoppel, D Hubert, Y Kasai, MJ Kurylo, E Kyrola, JC Lambert, PF Levelt, CT McElroy, RD McPeters, R Munro, H Nakajima, A Parrish, P Raspollini, EE Remsberg, KH Rosenlof, A Rozanov, T Sano, Y Sasano, M Shiotani, HGJ Smit, G Stiller, J Tamminen, DW Tarasick, J Urban, RJ van der A, JP Veefkind, C Vigouroux, T von Clarmann, C von Savigny, KA Walker, M Weber, J Wild and JM Zawodny. (Jan 2014). Past changes in the vertical distribution of ozone - Part 1: Measurement techniques, uncertainties and availability. ATMOSPHERIC MEASUREMENT TECHNIQUES , 7(5). 10.5194/amt-7-1395-2014
- Laeng, A, U Grabowski, T von Clarmann, G Stiller, N Glatthor, M Hopfner, S Kellmann, M Kiefer, A Linden, S Lossow, V Sofieva, I Petropavlovskikh, D Hubert, T Bathgate, P Bernath, CD Boone, C Clerbaux, P Coheur, R Damadeo, D Degenstein, S Frith, L Froidevaux, J Gille, K Hoppel, M McHugh, Y Kasai, J Lumpe, N Rahpoe, G Toon, T Sano, M Suzuki, J Tamminen, J Urban, K Walker, M Weber and J Zawodny. (Jan 2014). Validation of MIPAS IMK/IAA V5R_O3_224 ozone profiles. ATMOSPHERIC MEASUREMENT TECHNIQUES , 7(11). 10.5194/amt-7-3971-2014
- Park, A, S Guillas and I Petropavlovskikh. (Jan 2013). Trends in stratospheric ozone profiles using functional mixed models. ATMOSPHERIC CHEMISTRY AND PHYSICS , 13(22). 10.5194/acp-13-11473-2013
- Petropavlovskikh, I, R Evans, G McConville, S Oltmans, D Quincy, K Lantz, P Disterhoft, M Stanek and L Flynn. (Jan 2011). Sensitivity of Dobson and Brewer Umkehr ozone profile retrievals to ozone cross-sections and stray light effects. ATMOSPHERIC MEASUREMENT TECHNIQUES , 4(9). 10.5194/amt-4-1841-2011
- Nair, PJ, S Godin-Beekmann, A Pazmino, A Hauchecorne, G Ancellet, I Petropavlovskikh, LE Flynn and L Froidevaux. (Jan 2011). Coherence of long-term stratospheric ozone vertical distribution time series used for the study of ozone recovery at a northern mid-latitude station. ATMOSPHERIC CHEMISTRY AND PHYSICS , 11(10). 10.5194/acp-11-4957-2011
- Petropavlovskikh, I, E Ray, SM Davis, K Rosenlof, G Manney, R Shetter, SR Hall, K Ullmann, L Pfister, J Hair, M Fenn, M Avery and AM Thompson. (Sep 2010). Low-ozone bubbles observed in the tropical tropopause layer during the TC4 campaign in 2007. JOURNAL OF GEOPHYSICAL RESEARCH-ATMOSPHERES , 115. 10.1029/2009JD012804
- Miyagawa, K, T Sasaki, H Nakane, I Petropavlovskikh and RD Evans. (Apr 2009). Reevaluation of long-term Umkehr data and ozone profiles at Japanese stations. JOURNAL OF GEOPHYSICAL RESEARCH-ATMOSPHERES , 114. 10.1029/2008JD010658
- Evans, R, G McConville, S Oltmans, I Petropavlovskikh and D Quincy. (Jan 2009). Measurement of internal stray light within Dobson ozone spectrophotometers. INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF REMOTE SENSING , 30(15-16). 10.1080/01431160902825057
- Flynn, LE, D McNamara, CT Beck, I Petropavlovskikh, E Beach, Y Pachepsky, YP Li, M Deland, LK Huang, CS Long, R Tiruchirapalli and S Taylor. (Jan 2009). Measurements and products from the Solar Backscatter Ultraviolet (SBUV/2) and Ozone Mapping and Profiler Suite (OMPS) instruments. INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF REMOTE SENSING , 30(15-16). 10.1080/01431160902825040
- Petropavlovskikh, I, R Evans, G McConville, K Miyagawa and S Oltmans. (Jan 2009). Effect of the out-of-band stray light on the retrieval of the Umkehr Dobson ozone profiles. INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF REMOTE SENSING , 30(24). 10.1080/01431160902865806
- Petropavlovskikh, I, L Froidevaux, R Shetter, S Hall, K Ullmann, PK Bhartia, M Kroon and P Levelt. (Jun 2008). In-flight validation of Aura MLS ozone with CAFS partial ozone columns. JOURNAL OF GEOPHYSICAL RESEARCH-ATMOSPHERES , 113(D16). 10.1029/2007JD008690
- Kroon, M, I Petropavlovskikh, R Shetter, S Hall, K Ullmann, JP Veefkind, RD McPeters, EV Browell and PF Levelt. (May 2008). OMI total ozone column validation with Aura-AVE CAFS observations. JOURNAL OF GEOPHYSICAL RESEARCH-ATMOSPHERES , 113(D15). 10.1029/2007JD008795
- McPeters, R, M Kroon, G Labow, E Brinksma, D Balis, I Petropavlovskikh, JP Veefkind, PK Bhartia and PF Levelt. (May 2008). Validation of the Aura Ozone Monitoring Instrument total column ozone product. JOURNAL OF GEOPHYSICAL RESEARCH-ATMOSPHERES , 113(D15). 10.1029/2007JD008802
- Petropavlovskikh, I, R Shetter, S Hall, K Ullmann and PK Bhartia. (Jan 2007). Algorithm for the charge-coupled-device scanning actinic flux spectroradiometer ozone retrieval in support of the Aura satellite validation. JOURNAL OF APPLIED REMOTE SENSING , 1. 10.1117/1.2802563
- Miller, AJ, AR Cai, G Tiao, DJ Wuebbles, LE Flynn, SK Yang, EC Weatherhead, V Fioletov, I Petropavlovskikh, XL Meng, S Guillas, RM Nagatani and GC Reinsel. (Jul 2006). Examination of ozonesonde data for trends and trend changes incorporating solar and Arctic oscillation signals. JOURNAL OF GEOPHYSICAL RESEARCH-ATMOSPHERES , 111(D13). 10.1029/2005JD006684
- Fioletov, VE, DW Tarasick and I Petropavlovskikh. (Jan 2006). Estimating ozone variability and instrument uncertainties from SBUV(/2), ozonesonde, Umkehr, and SAGE II measurements: Short-term variations. JOURNAL OF GEOPHYSICAL RESEARCH-ATMOSPHERES , 111(D2). 10.1029/2005JD006340
- Petropavlovskikh, I, PK Bhartia and J DeLuisi. (Aug 2005). New Umkehr ozone profile retrieval algorithm optimized for climatological studies. GEOPHYSICAL RESEARCH LETTERS , 32(16). 10.1029/2005GL023323
- Petropavlovskikh, I, C Ahn, PK Bhartia and LE Flynn. (Mar 2005). Comparison and covalidation of ozone anomalies and variability observed in SBUV(/2) and Umkehr northern midlatitude ozone profile estimates. GEOPHYSICAL RESEARCH LETTERS , 32(6). 10.1029/2004GL022002
- DeLuisi, J, D Theisen, J Augustine, P Disterhoft, K Lantz, E Weatherhead, G Hodges, C Cornwall, I Petropavlovskikh, A Stevermer, D Wellman and J Barnett. (Apr 2003). On the correspondence between surface UV observations and TOMS determinations of surface UV: a potential method for quality evaluating world surface UV observations. ANNALS OF GEOPHYSICS , 46(2).
- Bojkov, RD, E Kosmidis, JJ DeLuisi, I Petropavlovskikh, VE Fioletov, S Godin and C Zerefos. (Jan 2002). Vertical ozone distribution characteristics deduced from similar to 44,000 re-evaluated Umkehr profiles (1957-2000). METEOROLOGY AND ATMOSPHERIC PHYSICS , 79(4-Mar).
- Petropavlovskikh, I, D Theisen, JJ DeLuisi, RD Bojkov and E Kosmidis. (Jan 2001). On shifts in the long-term Umkehr radiance records and their influence on retrieved ozone profiles. GEOPHYSICAL RESEARCH LETTERS , 28(2). 10.1029/1999GL011251
- Yu, SC, VK Saxena, BN Wenny, JJ DeLuisi, GK Yue and IV Petropavlovskikh. (Oct 2000). A study of the aerosol radiative properties needed to compute direct aerosol forcing in the southeastern United States. JOURNAL OF GEOPHYSICAL RESEARCH-ATMOSPHERES , 105(D20). 10.1029/2000JD900346
- Stevermer, AJ, IV Petropavlovskikh, JM Rosen and JJ DeLuisi. (Sep 2000). Development of a global stratospheric aerosol climatology: Optical properties and applications for UV. JOURNAL OF GEOPHYSICAL RESEARCH-ATMOSPHERES , 105(D18). 10.1029/2000JD900368
- Petropavlovskikh, I, R Loughman, J DeLuisi and B Herman. (Jun 2000). A comparison of UV intensities calculated by spherical-atmosphere radiation transfer codes: Application to the aerosol corrections. JOURNAL OF GEOPHYSICAL RESEARCH-ATMOSPHERES , 105(D11). 10.1029/2000JD900136
- Wenny, BN, JS Schafer, JJ DeLuisi, VK Saxena, WF Barnard, IV Petropavlovskikh and AJ Vergamini. (Jul 1998). A study of regional aerosol radiative properties and effects on ultraviolet-B radiation. JOURNAL OF GEOPHYSICAL RESEARCH-ATMOSPHERES , 103(D14). 10.1029/98JD01481
- Miller, AJ, LE Flynn, SM Hollandsworth, JJ DeLuisi, IV Petropavlovskikh, GC Tiao, GC Reinsel, DJ Wuebbles, J Kerr, RM Nagatani, L Bishop and CH Jackman. (Aug 1997). Information content of Umkehr and solar backscattered ultraviolet (SBUV) 2 satellite data for ozone trends and solar responses in the stratosphere. JOURNAL OF GEOPHYSICAL RESEARCH-ATMOSPHERES , 102(D15). 10.1029/97JD01482
- FILYUSHKIN VV; MADRONICH S; BRASSEUR GP; PETROPAVLOVSKIKH IV. (Apr 1994). FAST 2-STREAM METHOD FOR COMPUTING DIURNAL-MEAN ACTINIC FLUX IN VERTICALLY INHOMOGENEOUS ATMOSPHERES. Journal of the Atmospheric Sciences , 51(8), 1077-1088. 10.1175/1520-0469(1994)051<1077:FTSMFC>2.0.CO;2