My research focuses on geophysical deformation of the shallow earth. I use a suite of satellite and terrestrial remote sensing platforms to characterize surface variations to gain a better understanding of the underlying geophysical processes that drive these changes. Recent projects include the impact of a granular proglacial ice mélange on tidewater glacier calving, the influence of perennial firn aquifers on tidewater glacier dynamics, and the relationship between cascading natural hazards (drought, wildfire, precipitation events, landslides) and climate change.
- Samsonov S; Tiampo K; Cassotto R. (Sep 2021). Measuring the state and temporal evolution of glaciers in Alaska and Yukon using synthetic-aperture-radar-derived (SAR-derived) 3D time series of glacier surface flow. The Cryosphere , 15(9), 4221-4239. 10.5194/tc-15-4221-2021
- Samsonov S; Tiampo K; Cassotto R. (Jun 2021). SAR-derived flow velocity and its link to glacier surface elevation change and mass balance. Remote Sensing of Environment: an interdisciplinary journal , 258. 10.1016/j.rse.2021.112343
- Cassotto RK; Burton JC; Amundson JM; Fahnestock MA; Truffer M. (May 2021). Granular decoherence precedes ice melange failure and glacier calving at Jakobshavn Isbr AE. Nature Geoscience , 417-+. 10.1038/s41561-021-00754-9
- Cassotto, R; Fahnestock, M; Amundson, JM; Truffer, M; Boettcher, MS; de la Pena, S; Howat, I. (FEB 2019). Non-linear glacier response to calving events, Jakobshavn Isbrae, Greenland. JOURNAL OF GLACIOLOGY, 65(249), 39-54. 10.1017/jog.2018.90
- Burton, JC, JM Amundson, R Cassotto, CC Kuo and M Dennin. (15-May 2018). Quantifying flow and stress in ice melange, the worlds largest granular material. PROCEEDINGS OF THE NATIONAL ACADEMY OF SCIENCES OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA, 115(20), 5105-5110. 10.1073/pnas.1715136115
- Motyka, RJ, R Cassotto, M Truffer, KK Kjeldsen, D van As, NJ Korsgaard, M Fahnestock, I Howat, PL Langen, J Mortensen, K Lennert and S Rysgaard. (APR 2017). Asynchronous behavior of outlet glaciers feeding Godthabsfjord (Nuup Kangerlua) and the triggering of Narsap Sermias retreat in SW Greenland. JOURNAL OF GLACIOLOGY, 63(238), 288-308. 10.1017/jog.2016.138
- Voytenko, D, TH Dixon, DM Holland, R Cassotto, IM Howat, MA Fahnestock, M Truffer and S De la Pena. (AUG 2017). Acquisition of a 3 min, two-dimensional glacier velocity field with terrestrial radar interferometry. JOURNAL OF GLACIOLOGY, 63(240), 629-636. 10.1017/jog.2017.28