CIRES/ NOAA PSD Integrated Data Assimilation and Artificial Intelligence Post-Doctoral Researcher
NOAA Physical Sciences Division (PSD) seeks to fill multiple two-year postdoctoral research associate positions to develop novel data assimilation capabilities using new advances in artificial intelligence and deep learning. Targeted applications include model bias correction, forecast error covariance estimation, coupled data assimilation, model emulation, assimilation of high-resolution satellite data, and enhancement of data assimilation solution methods.
Who We Are
At CIRES, the Cooperative Institute for Research in Environmental Sciences, more than 800 environmental scientists work to understand the dynamic Earth system, including people’s relationship with the planet. CIRES is a partnership of NOAA and the University of Colorado Boulder, and our areas of expertise include weather and climate, changes at the Earth’s poles, air quality and atmospheric chemistry, water resources, and solid Earth sciences. Our vision is to be instrumental in ensuring a sustainable future environment by advancing scientific and societal understanding of the Earth system.
Physical Sciences Division website:
- Collaborate in the development of new data assimilation methodologies that incorporate artificial intelligence and deep learning.
- Perform software development for exploratory investigation.
- Conduct experiments using high-performance computing.
- Perform pre- and post-processing of data as needed for analysis and visualization.
What You Should Know
- This position will be rostered in CIRES at the University of Colorado Boulder, but will be physically situated in the David Skaggs Research Center, 325 Broadway, Boulder, CO 80305. If you are the selected finalist you will be required to pass a federal laboratory background clearance for site access.
- These are 2-year Post-Doc appointments.
What We Can Offer
- A relevant PhD degree is required for this role.
- Experience in one or more fields is required: Data Assimilation, Mathematical Optimization, Atmospheric or Oceanic Science, Applied Mathematics and Statistics, Computer Science, Artificial Intelligence / Machine Learning / Deep Learning.
What You Will Need
- Knowledge of data assimilation (particularly ensemble and variational methods), mathematical optimization, or related AI method.
- Experience with Python, C++, Fortran, or equivalent high-level languages.
- Interest in geophysical AI applications.
What We Would Like You To Have
- Experience with forecasting in the Geosciences.
- Experience with deep learning and related software tools such as Pytorch or Tensorflow.
- Knowledge of dynamical systems.
- Experience with data processing and data visualization.
- Experience with high-performance computing, including both CPU and GPU architectures.
The University of Colorado offers excellent benefits, including medical, dental, retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO Pass. The University of Colorado Boulder is one of the largest employers in Boulder County and offers an inspiring higher education environment. Learn more about the University of Colorado Boulder.
To apply, please submit the following materials:
- Resume or CV
- Cover letter addressed to the Search Committee briefly describing your qualifications, professional goals, and specific interest in this position.
- List of contact information for 3 references who will be willing to write a confidential Letter of Recommendation for you. You don’t need to include letters of recommendation with your initial application. The search committee will request letters of recommendation at a later time If you are identified as a finalist for this role.
If you are selected as the finalist, your degree will be verified by the CU Boulder Campus Human Resources department using an approved online vendor. If your degree was obtained outside of the United States, please submit a translated version as an optional attachment.
The position will be open until filled. Applications will be screened as they are received.
Note: Application materials will not be accepted via email. For consideration, applications must be submitted through CU Boulder Jobs.