CIRES/ NOAA PSD Post-Doctoral Researcher (Waves)
We are looking for a Post-Doc to join our team whose primary responsibility will be conducting research in support of an NSF grant, centered on moist tropical waves and the basic state, with an emphasis on convectively Kelvin waves and the Madden-Julian Oscillation. The primary goal will be to improve our mechanistic understanding of these two important phenomena, in terms of wave-mean flow interactions.
Who We Are
At CIRES, the Cooperative Institute for Research in Environmental Sciences, more than 800 environmental scientists work to understand the dynamic Earth system, including people’s relationship with the planet. CIRES is a partnership of NOAA and the University of Colorado Boulder, and our areas of expertise include weather and climate, changes at the Earth’s poles, air quality and atmospheric chemistry, water resources, and solid Earth sciences. Our vision is to be instrumental in ensuring a sustainable future environment by advancing scientific and societal understanding of the Earth system.
Physical Sciences Division Website:
- Take a lead role in preparing/submitting manuscripts for publication in peer-reviewed scientific journals, in addition to presenting the results of their research at scientific conferences.
- Specific research activities will include conducting and analyzing numerical experiments on parallel computing platforms using in-house versions of the NCAR Weather Research and Forecast model and the NOAA Unified Forecast System, in addition to analyzing both model and observational data using various statistical methods, including linear regression, Fourier decomposition, and construction of moist static and kinetic energy budget composites.
What You Should Know
- This position will be rostered in CIRES at the University of Colorado Boulder but will be physically situated in the David Skaggs Research Center, 325 Broadway, Boulder, CO 80305. If you are the selected finalist you will be required to pass a federal laboratory background clearance for site access.
What We Can Offer
- A PhD in Atmospheric Science or a closely related field is required.
What You Will Need
- Excellent communication and writing skills.
- Familiarity with the concepts of wave-mean flow interactions in terms of energetics.
- Familiarity with the concept of convection parameterization at a nuts-and-bolts level.
What We Would Like You To Have
- Experience in working with and modifying atmospheric numerical models on HPC Unix platforms.
- Experience in working with gridded atmospheric datasets in NetCdf format.
- PhD-level research in the area of tropical meteorology.
- Proficiency and experience in scientific programming in either Python, NCL, MatLab, or IDL.
The University of Colorado offers excellent benefits, including medical, dental, retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO Pass. The University of Colorado Boulder is one of the largest employers in Boulder County and offers an inspiring higher education environment. Learn more about the University of Colorado Boulder.
To apply, please submit the following materials:
- Resume or CV
- Cover letter addressed to the Search Committee briefly describing your qualifications, professional goals, and specific interest in this position.
- List of contact information for 3 references who will be willing to write a confidential Letter of Recommendation for you. You don’t need to include letters of recommendation with your initial application. The search committee will request letters of recommendation at a later time If you are identified as a finalist for this role.
If you are selected as the finalist, your degree will be verified by the CU Boulder Campus Human Resources department using an approved online vendor. If your degree was obtained outside of the United States, please submit a translated version as an optional attachment.
The position will be open until filled. Applications will be screened as they are received.
Note: Application materials will not be accepted via email. For consideration, applications must be submitted through CU Boulder Jobs.