CIRES Post-Doctoral Atmospheric Radiation Researcher
The Cooperative Institute for Research in Environmental Sciences (CIRES) in Boulder, Colorado is seeking aPost-Doctoral Research Scientist to work in the NOAA Earth System Research Laboratory (ESRL)/Global Monitoring Division (GMD). The scientist will work through the Atmospheric Science for Renewable Energy (ASRE) program which is coordinated across divisions at ESRL (Chemical Sciences, Global Monitoring, Global Systems, and Physical Sciences) with the goal of improving solar and wind forecasts for the renewable energy sector. Improvements in solar forecasts will be explored through observations for the shorter time scales and analysis of observations to inform innovations in Numerical Weather Prediction (NWP) forecasts of solar and wind. The Global Radiation Group in GMD specializes in long-term observations of the full radiation budget and its components, including meteorological parameters and measurements of quantities – primarily aerosol and cloud properties – that modulate atmospheric radiation. Current projects will use these measurements to quantify the variability of radiation variables across different spatial and temporal scales and to improve understanding and representation of sub-grid scale clouds in NWP models. The position is located in Boulder, Colorado.
Who We Are
At CIRES, the Cooperative Institute for Research in Environmental Sciences, more than 800 environmental scientists work to understand the dynamic Earth system, including people’s relationship with the planet. CIRES is a partnership of NOAA and the University of Colorado Boulder, and our areas of expertise include weather and climate, changes at the Earth’s poles, air quality and atmospheric chemistry, water resources, and solid Earth sciences. Our vision is to be instrumental in ensuring a sustainable future environment by advancing scientific and societal understanding of the Earth system.
- Developing meteorological/cloud regimes based on a suite of observations of cloud properties from the DOE Atmospheric Radiation Measurement Southern Great Plains site.
- Statistical characterization and analysis of the variability of surface solar radiation (diffuse and direct components) in these cloud regimes for evaluating and improving the representation of sub-grid scale clouds in the HRRR and RAP models.
- Preparation of data and its interpretation for presentation at scientific meetings and for publication in peer-reviewed journals of the atmospheric sciences.
What You Should Know
- This position requires availability to travel at the level of 2-3 trips/year.
- PhD in Atmospheric Science, Physics, Chemistry, or related field.
- Familiarity with radiative transfer theory.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English.
- Ability to work both independently and in a team environment.
What We Would Like You To Have
- Familiarity with atmospheric radiation observations, net radiation budget, energy budget.
- Proficiency in analysis of large datasets and scientific programming.
- Experience with development and presentation of scientific results for meetings and for publication in scientific journals.
- Experience with infrared and shortwave radiation measurements, calibration, and field studies.
- Familiarity with remote sensing retrievals for aerosol and cloud properties.
- Experience with NetCDF data formats, a Unix programming environment, and high-performance computing.
- Strong computational skills (e.g. Python, R Statistical Programming Language, NCAR Command Language (NCL), IDL).
The University of Colorado offers excellent benefits, including medical, dental, retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO Pass. The University of Colorado Boulder is one of the largest employers in Boulder County and offers an inspiring higher education environment. Learn more about the University of Colorado Boulder.
What We Can Offer
- We can offer a competitive salary, commensurate with experience.
To apply, please submit the following materials:
Cover letter briefly describing your qualifications, professional goals, and specific interest in this position
Proof of degree, either a transcript confirming your highest degree or a copy of your diploma
List of contact information for 3 references
In addition, you will need to submit 1 name with contact information who will be asked to submit a letter of recommendation at a later time (can be one of the 3 noted above). This information will be kept confidential and viewable only the search committee.
Screening will begin immediately, and applications will be accepted until the position is filled.