CIRES/CSD Desktop support
The Cooperative Institute for Research in Environmental Sciences (CIRES) at the University of Colorado in Boulder has an opening for a desktop engineer in the Chemical Science Division (CSD) of NOAA. CSD conducts research into climate change understanding, air quality improvement, and ozone layer protection. The scientists develop instrumentation to measure environmental conditions, and then analyze the data collected with various software programs, some commercially available and some custom written in house. The scientists also run large scale climate models using the NOAA supercomputers, and then analyze the results locally. The IT Specialist will be responsible for the providing general user assistance in support of Mac OS X and Windows systems and applications, printers, property administration, and Active Directory.
Act as first point of contact for problems experienced by end users.
● Assist users with their software application requirements and provide access to authorized IT resources.
● Performing basic troubleshooting tasks and operating system support on Microsoft Windows OS and Mac OS X.
● Setting up new users' systems and environments, including hardware and software. Perform new system builds.
● Provide network, printer, plotter, Audio/Visual system and desktop support.
● Participate in projects related to desktop computing such as email, anti-virus software, archiving, backups.
● Document standards, best practices and policies and contribute to IT FAQ and Knowledge Base.
● Maintain detailed hardware and software inventory records.
● Maintain a customer-service oriented atmosphere for the helpdesk which includes ensuring prompt response, effective communication and delivery of solutions for reported issues.
● Evaluate and review upcoming technologies (software/hardware), including computers, mobile devices, peripherals for applicability to IT.
● Perform daily and weekly preventative maintenance procedures.
● Must be a US Citizen or Green Card holder
● B.A. or B.S. degree.
● Fluency in English
● 2 + years of Windows 7, 8 and 10 user support
● Familiarity with Active Directory, group policies, user management.
● Familiarity with MacOSX operating system.
● Ability to work with other team members in a positive and constructive manner.
● Experience with database management systems and database software (MySQL or similar)
● Knowledge of visualization/analysis software: R, Python, Perl, Matlab, IDL, etc.
● Familiarity with scientific research or academic computing environments.
Special Instructions to Applicants: The University of Colorado Boulder conducts background checks on all final applicants being considered for employment, prior to the issuance of an offer letter. The University of Colorado Boulder is committed to providing a safe and productive learning, living and working community. To achieve this goal, we conduct background investigations for all final applicants being considered for employment. Background investigations include a criminal history record check, and an EPLS (Excluded Parties List System) check. The Immigration Reform and Control Act requires that verification of employment eligibility be documented for all new employees by the end of the third day of work.
The University of Colorado is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to assembling a diverse, broadly trained faculty and staff. In compliance with applicable laws and in furtherance of its commitment to fostering an environment that welcomes and embraces diversity, the University of Colorado does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex (including pregnancy), disability, age, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information, political affiliation or political philosophy in its programs or activities, including employment, admissions, and educational programs. Inquiries may be directed to the Boulder Campus Title IX Coordinator by calling 303-492-2127. In accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, alternative formats of this ad can be provided upon request for individuals with disabilities by contacting Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Application Materials Required: Cover Letter, Resume/CV, Reference Letters (Not Confidential), Unofficial transcript(s)
Application Materials Instructions: Applicants must complete the Faculty/University Staff and EEO Data (application) form, and upload the following required documents: 1 – Cover Letter; 2 – CV; 3 – The document uploaded for Proof of Degree can be a Transcript which shows the date the degree was conferred; Copy of Diploma; or official letter from the Registrar or the Dean of the School or College conferring the degree; 4 –A non-confidential letter of reference This position is eligible for medical, dental and life insurance, retirement benefits programs, and is eligible for monthly vacation and sick leave accruals.