Lead Software Engineer
The Cooperative Institute for Research in Environmental Sciences (CIRES) at the University of Colorado in Boulder has an opening for a well-qualified Full-Stack Software Engineer working with the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) National Centers for Environmental Information (NCEI). Within NCEI, the Center for Coasts, Oceans, and Geophysics (CCOG) is globally recognized as the premier repository and provider of geophysical, oceanographic, coastal, space weather and marine ecosystem data and information.
The successful applicant will be responsible for a challenging variety of duties related to the development of software-based solutions that meet science-driven requirements. Ideal applicants will have enterprise software development experience using both front-end and server-side technologies. A history of successfully working independently and a flexible, upbeat approach to collaborating with colleagues is a must.
Applicants must possess good analytical and problem solving skills, and demonstrated experience successfully implementing and testing software applications. Applicants should also exhibit a strong attention to detail, and the ability to conceptualize user requirements into customer-friendly and efficient software applications. This CIRES position is located at the U.S. Dept. of Commerce, NOAA David Skaggs Research Center, 325 Broadway, Boulder, Colorado.
Work with NCEI Coastal and Marine Geophysics (CMG) scientists to optimize CMG web applications that distribute NCEI data and products and capture associated meaningful data delivery metrics for reporting purposes.
● Execute a variety of tasks as needed in support of under-development and production-level operational systems. For example, data portals, analysis and processing workflows, and web services. Tasks may include: application testing and deployment, public and private cloud provisioning, and management of system configuration and resources.
● Participate in running, debugging, and monitoring software processes and systems. Seek innovative solutions to seemingly routine tasks, and develop processes, programs and scripts to automate operational resources.
● Examine and evaluate current capabilities with a critical mind; suggest new workflows, streamlining opportunities, and ways to increase system performance and reliability.
● Collaborate with CMG scientists to design and develop novel ways for web users to interact with and explore NCEI scientific data and products.
● Collaborate with software developers from other groups in the center to implement well-tested and operational code and resolve any software compatibility issues that may arise.
Decision Making and Problem Solving
● Apply appropriate software engineering analysis and design techniques to problem solving and code development. Take initiative to explore new approaches to routine problems. Advance personal knowledge and abilities in the field through personal reading, experimentation and appropriate training, classes and workshops.
● Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or closely related discipline with 5+ years of professional experience
● Experience as a software engineer, demonstrated success developing a variety of software systems with responsibility for analysis, design, implementation and deployment tasks
● Experience developing data-driven applications incorporating relational database engines as part of the overall application architecture
● Able to perform quality work independently according to general guidelines and needs
Experience with Java, Spring framework, Groovy, Grails framework
● Experience with Oracle, Postgres and/or other relational databases
● Some familiarity with Docker
● Experience with spatial data and databases
● Experience using version control (we use Git), issue tracking and continuous integration
● General knowledge of computing system security (e.g., SSL, X.509 certificates)
● Experience with developing and troubleshooting complex software systems that run primarily on Linux
● Understanding of software design patterns, object-oriented analysis and design
● Knowledge of NOSQL storage system
● Experience in user-centric geo-scientific software engineering projects considered a plus
For further information, please contact Carrie Wall (email@example.com)
Special Instructions to Applicants: The University of Colorado Boulder conducts background checks on all final applicants being considered for employment, prior to the issuance of an offer letter. The University of Colorado Boulder is committed to providing a safe and productive learning, living and working community. To achieve this goal, we conduct background investigations for all final applicants being considered for employment. Background investigations include a criminal history record check, and an EPLS (Excluded Parties List System) check. The Immigration Reform and Control Act requires that verification of employment eligibility be documented for all new employees by the end of the third day of work.
The University of Colorado is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to assembling a diverse, broadly trained faculty and staff. In compliance with applicable laws and in furtherance of its commitment to fostering an environment that welcomes and embraces diversity, the University of Colorado does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex (including pregnancy), disability, age, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information, political affiliation or political philosophy in its programs or activities, including employment, admissions, and educational programs. Inquiries may be directed to the Boulder Campus Title IX Coordinator by calling 303-492-2127. In accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, alternative formats of this ad can be provided upon request for individuals with disabilities by contacting Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Application Materials Required: Cover Letter, Resume/CV, Reference Letters (Not Confidential), Unofficial transcript(s)
Application Materials Instructions: Applicants must complete the Faculty/University Staff and EEO Data (application) form, and upload the following required documents: 1 – Cover Letter; 2 – CV; 3 – The document uploaded for Proof of Degree can be a Transcript which shows the date the degree was conferred; Copy of Diploma; or official letter from the Registrar or the Dean of the School or College conferring the degree; 4 –A non-confidential letter of reference This position is eligible for medical, dental and life insurance, retirement benefits programs, and is eligible for monthly vacation and sick leave accruals.